Using a compressor with a DMP3

mcmd

I need to use some compression when recording acoustic guitar and clean electric guitar. My strumming technique is a little percussive - where I pluck 4 – 5 strings simultaneously.

Hi,

I use the DMP3 with a small selection of mics: peavey PVM380, Shure KSM 109 Shure SM57 and AT 3035. I also have a Joe Meek VC3Q pre with compressor.

So, is this the signal chain – mic --> DMP3 --> compressor --> audio card? I would think that the output of the DMP3 would go to the insert input or the mix-in input of the VC3Q, but not its mic pre input?

Will adding the Joe Meek to the signal chain undo or negate any benefit of using the “nice” DMP3? Or maybe that doesn’t matter …..as once the DMP3 takes the signal to line levels it’s work is done?

Thanks,
Dara

Yeah if there's an insert on the Joe meek bypassing the mic pre then that's where your output from the DMP-3 will go. If you had to go through the mic pre of the JM then yeah it would be pointless putting the DMP-3 before it.

I understand the joe meek stuff is pretty coloured so if you don't want coloured acoustic guitar tracks then I'd avoid it altogether.

Can you not add compression in the box?

Out of interest, why do you need to compress acoustic guitar at all?

Back