Using a compressor. Insert or use the aux sends?

solarscar

When using compression/limiting/gating is it best to "insert" them to the channel you want are can you use the aux send/return on say, a compressor so i can compressor 8 tracks at once?

If i can use the aux send would i just set the levels all the way to "11" on my board and control the amount of dynamics on the compressor?

hmm.....

Thanks

solarscar said:
When using compression/limiting/gating is it best to "insert" them to the channel you want are can you use the aux send/return on say, a compressor so i can compressor 8 tracks at once?

If i can use the aux send would i just set the levels all the way to "11" on my board and control the amount of dynamics on the compressor?

hmm.....

Thanks

dynamic processors are used on inserts and effects processors are used on aux sends. You probably wouldnt want to use the same type of compression on 8tracks anyway. As inserts you have more control and can give your tracks different character with less or more or no compression at all. Hopefully you catch my drift.

Good luck

I can think of a reason to use the same type of compression on "8" tracks:

A common mix "trick" is to send signal from all tracks of a drum kit to a stereo buss and strap a compressor across that buss. You would then compress this drums buss more than normal and then mix it back in underneath the original drum tracks. This will make the drums sound bigger and fuller. You could do this with gtr tracks, BGVs, etc... It's called parallel compression.

Also used in mastering sometimes...

VU-1 said:
I can think of a reason to use the same type of compression on "8" tracks:

A common mix "trick" is to send signal from all tracks of a drum kit to a stereo buss and strap a compressor across that buss. You would then compress this drums buss more than normal and then mix it back in underneath the original drum tracks. This will make the drums sound bigger and fuller. You could do this with gtr tracks, BGVs, etc... It's called parallel compression.

Also used in mastering sometimes...

But the point being that you wouldn't use a compressor on an Aux, but rather an insert (at least that's always been my thinking). The parallel compression ex. you give would still be via insert...no?

I take note of your point though; I'll try this on the results of the up and coming band drum recording.

The other thing to watch out for is, if he is doing this on a computer, some programs don delay compensate the auxes. That would be quite a mess

robin watson said:
But the point being that you wouldn't use a compressor on an Aux, but rather an insert (at least that's always been my thinking). The parallel compression ex. you give would still be via insert...no?
I'm using one on an aux right now - it can go on either side of a reverb depending on what sound you're looking for, for example.

robin watson said:
You are correct.

I think a few reasons why you always want to put dynamic processors on the inserts is because you want it to be usually pre-EQ and because we want to replace the channel with a new effect. With Auxes you are getting a wet and dry signal...with inserts you only get the effected version. So yeah, if you're wanting to compress multiple channels, bus them all to a grouped track and compress that one.

when to use compression

Hi - I'm recording a meditation CD w music in the bkground. I want the spoken instructions to stand out but don't want to loose the music. Should I use compression? When - when I bounce tracks or in the final burn to CD? Thanks.

Back