Using a 4-Track for the first time

Kefka-X

I originally posted this in the Tascam forum, but then I thought the newbie forum might be more appropriate.

Yesterday I bought a Tascam 424MkIII (my first 4-track recorder). On top of this, I've bought a Shure Beta 57 mic, a 10ft mic cable and a microphone stand.
I thought this would be enough, but upon taking it home I found I needed a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter for the headphone jack, since it's too big for my Shure E3c earphones to fit in.
Since I can't hear any sound at this point, I didn't bother going through the step-by-step instructions in the manual (to understand the controls, you'd need to be able to hear what they do).
So I thought I should ask (since it's very difficult for me to get to places at the moment), before I go to get the 1/4" adapter - what else should I be looking at buying?

It seems to me at this point I have no way to connect the 4-track to anything. I'm hoping to make mp3s of the songs I record onto tape.
Exactly what type of cables will I need to buy to do this? I'm sure there are things I'm not thinking of, so it would be very helpful if someone who perhaps owns a 424 or something similar could help me out.
Will I have to plug two cables into the L/R ports in the back and connect those to the computer for mixing? Or can I do the stereo mixing within the 4-Track itself? Or do I need to purchase something *else* to connect to the 4-Track for this purpose (like a tape player)?

Ideally, I'd just like to be able to connect the 4-Track to the computer by whatever means, and transfer songs directly from tape to .wav or .mp3.
So specifically, what cables will I need? And being that all these ports are 1/4", will I need to buy more 1/4"-1/8" adapters, or is there some special cable you can buy that is 1/4" on one end, and 1/8" on the other?

Forgive my ignorance, but I've spent a few hours looking up this information, and I haven't been able to find the answers I'm looking for. It seems very vital to me.

I'm going to an electronics store in a few hours to buy the things I need, so it would be very helpful if I know what I need before then.
Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.

Kefka, does your 4-track unit have a line-out in the back?

If so, what does it look like?

Also, are you planning on recording any instruments? Guitar? Piano?

Through a mic or directly?

Julia

4-track to computer

That looks like a nice little unit. I think you'll enjoy it.

Okay...

What it appears you have there in the way of a line output, are 2 1/8" stereo jacks. What you need to do is look at the soundcard area on the rear of your computer to find a "line-in" jack. More than likely it is a single 1/8" jack.

If so, then all you need in order to connect your 4-track to your computer, would be a cable with 2 stereo 1/8" MALES plugs on one end (left and right) and ONE 1/8" MALE plug on the opposite end (this end goes into your "line-in" jack of your soundcard.)

So far, so good?

The line outs at the back of the 4-track are all either 1/4" ports (like the bottom photo here: http://www.amabilidade2002.com/audio93.htm), or RCA jacks (like the ones pictured here: http://www.amabilidade2002.com/audio100.htm). RCA jacks are what most televisions have, for their Audio/Video line-ins.

Okay, so from what you've said, do you think I could find a cable with 2x RCA jacks on one end, and a single 1/8" on the other end, to plug into the computer?
If not, I'm sure I could just buy two more adapters.

But if I can buy something like this, and simply record through my computer's 1/8" speaker port into a computer program (like N-Track or similar), there shouldn't be a problem?

no, not adapters

Okay, so from what you've said, do you think I could find a cable with 2x RCA jacks on one end, and a single 1/8" on the other end, to plug into the computer?

Absolutely. I have several of those myself. You certainly can buy just that.

Stay away from buying a whole slew of adapters, though, if you can. They can be costly...add up quickly.

But if I can buy something like this, and simply record through my computer's 1/8" speaker port into a computer program (like N-Track or similar), there shouldn't be a problem?

No, it should work just great, as long as your computer has sufficient resources (memory, etc.) for this. It should work very nicely.

BUT...I am hoping that I am seeing two RCA jacks on the back of your unit, (one left, one right), and that they are a line-OUT source. Your line-out source (in stereo) is probably not made up of two 1/4" ports. Those are for something altogether different.

Do you see two RCA ports (maybe one red, one white?)...and there it says "line-out"?

idea

Hey, Kefka...I just had a thought.

Would it be difficult for you to just bring your 4-track unit to the store with you? Show them what you have at the back...and tell them that you wish to join to an 1/8" line-in port on your computer's soundcard.

If you are able already to plug your microphone into that 4-track, then you should be all set.

You need to get the little adapter for your headphone jack, though, so that you can hear some sound! :)

You are going to have a lot of fun with your setup. I wish you very well with it.

I remember my first 4-track with great fondness. It brought me a lot of joy. I hope yours' will be the same for you.

Julia said:
Stay away from buying a whole slew of adapters, though, if you can. They can be costly...add up quickly.

At the very least, I need to buy one for the headphone port, but as far as I know, they only cost a few bucks. But if I can buy the cable you mentioned, I'm sure I'll only need one.

I'm also quite sure my computer has sufficient memory and hard drive space and everything else. It's certainly not a great computer, but I used to record before with a very poor quality computer microphone and never had any trouble (barring the incredibly poor sound quality, of course).

And you're definitely seeing two RCA jacks. None are colour coded, but I'm positive that's what they're for (stereo mixing).
There are 2x RCA Monitor Output (L/R), 2x RCA Line Output, 4x RCA Tape Output, 2x RCA Sub Input.

But I think you've already answered my question perfectly.
If I can find this cable and 1/4" adapter, that should be all I need to finally get going.
So thank you very much!

The LINE OUTs of the 424mkIII are what you'd connect to your computer, with an RCA-1/8" stereo Y-cable adaptor, available at most Radio Shacks.

You cable the RCA LINE OUT, L/R to the soundcard's 1/8" stereo LINE in, and record with your computer, with a sound recording program. That works fine.

However, that means you'll be mixing your sound on those cheap little computer speakers, which is not ideal, when it comes to sound quality.

You may also need a standard RCA stereo patch cable, to first patch your 424mkIII to your normal home stereo, line in's, and mix your final mixes on the home hifi set, THEN transfer patch cabling over to the computer soundcard,... after the basic mix is accomplished on a home stereo monitoring system.

You wanted advice from an experienced 424mkIII user, and there it is. You may disregard the rest. Thank you.;)

A Reel Person: Yep, that's what I thought. It's a very newbie question, I'm sure. But despite the fact I've been playing/making music most of my life, and using a computer since the mid-90's, exposed to stereo equipment since I was a child...
I've never once needed to buy audio cables to connect any of these things together. And nor have I owned any recording equipment outside of my computer.

So as of yesterday I guess I've taken the plunge. But being that I'm now several hundred dollars in debt, I might look into the more professional mixing setup later.

You're right, I do only have cheap little computer speakers. Which is a shame, because I spent $180 US on in-ear monitors not that long ago. Headphones/earphones as I understand it are unfavourable for mixing, regardless of price.
I'm sure for the moment I'll be fine with my speakers, though. With the emphasis on "for the moment". *quickly runs away and buries his wallet*

Thanks for your help ;)

Mixing on computer speakers is okay, since most of your content will be listened to..

on the same cheap computer speakers, by your adoring listeners.

But, you'd be surprised at how many mixes that may translate well over cheap computer speakers, sound like ass when played on a full sized stereo. It kinda depends on how good your stereo is, too, to make that a relevant component in your mix setup.

Mixing on headphones are alright, although many people would disagree. You should have headphones that you are familiar with, so as to produce the best mixes. That's all. Headphones should be a known quantitiy, sound-quality-wise. Every set of headphones have a characteristic sound, and you just have to be used to it, to produce the best sounding mixes with phones. I like ATH-M40's or ATH-M30's, [Audio-Technica], as an example of widely available, inexpensive phones. That's not a silver bullet, it's just what I like.

Mixing is not as much as a fine science, as it's an art. There's no formulaic approach that works for everyone. You have to be familiar with your components, and the relative sound they produce, and get the best sound, based on what you hear with your ears, as the final judgement. However, the better and more accurate your monitoring system [or phones], the easier it is to produce mixes that translate to other systems, be it computer or full blown hifi systems.
;)

Last edited:
Back