using 2 computer monitors

Buzi

hello all

I'm building my first setup.
I have a pentium 4 1.7ghz with 256ram and 2 large HD's (40G, 200G).
I have 1 19" computer monitor and I'm using Reason 2.0 as my sound generating software (obviously - I'm also into electronic music).
I would like to hook up another monitor (probably 17" or 19") to my video card so I can drag my soft-sequencer into one monitor, leaving pleny of room to work on Reason's virtual rack.
What types of video cards are you using for dual monitor setups?
What should be considered when buying a video card (used) and how do I know if it can split the video out into 2 monitors?
much appreciated !

I am using a Asus GeForce that cost about $100. All display adapter descriptions should note if they support two monitors. Note that all (that I have seen) adapters that support two monitors either have two DVI ports or one DVI and one VGA. All cards sporting DVI ports should have adapters to convert them to VGA.

I know a lot of SONAR users are using Matrox cards for this purpose, I don't remember the number. I got a Radeon 9200SE which wasn't too expensive. You don't need top-tier performance since the video demands aren't comparable to gaming.

Ted

I'v noticed that the soundcards you've mentioned only have one output for the monitor's cable. Does that mean you're using a splitter?
If so, is there a way to split up the output no matter what video card I'm using, or does it have to be a dual-monitor compatible card (with just one output)?

also, I have Windows XP and I know it has the "dual monitors" option.
Could I use that option to split up the display and simply use a "Y" video cable into 2 monitors instead of buying a new video card ?

Well, first of all we're talking about VIDEO cards not soundcards.

Don't know if you were referring to my post with regards to the cards not being dual head, but here's a link to one vendor with the card I use- http://www.bzboyz.com/store/product4493.html. That was the first one that came up on Google, but it should be available lots of places. I think the Matrox cards are the G550 and G650.

You need either a dual head video card or two video cards in your computer in order to use a dual monitor setup. Each monitor needs to be connected to a separate video connector in the computer.

Setting it up in Windows is simple and you can arrange the monitors in any fashion you wish.

Once you have dual monitors you'll never change back. You WILL however want to add one or two more!!!! :D

Ted

dual monitors

dear buzi

yeah - just do it - changed the way i work forever.

i use Digital Performer which is notorious for being pop-up windows intensive.

i can now sweep my song overview right across two screens and still have my position bar moving at a sensible speed

under it a mixing board

by the side of that, all my plug in windows

it's bliss - really - i don't want to think about the number of mouseclicks it has saved me over the last year.

i use a mac G5, but the principle is the same especially in XP, but yes you will need a dual support card - a splitter will merely get you the same image on two screens.

hope it works out

Back