User Friendly?

KeithG

I'm looking to buy DAW software and it seems like the Cakewalk SONAR 8 Studio is the one for me. I want to transfer my audio tracks from my TASCAM DP-02CF to my computer, add virtual instruments, record, mix, and add effects. Is this software user friendly(for Windows Vista)? Do I need any additional equipment for my purposes that I already stated(preamps, audio interfaces, what's the difference, I have no clue:confused:)?

I am using the Focusrite Saffire Pro 26io and it works great with Sonar running Vista. I believe Cakewalk has a listing on their site of compatible hardware. Vista compatibility was the constraint when I purchased the Saffire Pro but nowadays I believe all of the interfaces have Vista drivers you can download.

Any interface with ASIO drivers for the version of Windows you are using should work.
If you're transferring tracks from a multitrack recorder though and only need DA conversion then (I don't like saying it :)) your internal soundcard may cut it for a while.

Your DP-02CF has a USB out that will allow you to move the digital wave files into Sonar for mixing...

If you're only looking to add softsynths and FX at that point, you will be ready to go...

To record more tracks into Sonar (bypassing the Tascam), you will need an interface (USB/Firewire/PCI) to connect to.

I track with a Roland VS-2480 and transfer to Sonar for mixing. If I need to add another vocal track (or sumpin) I use a Mackie Satellite (firewire) or a US-122 (usb). Each has phantom power and two inputs, which is fine since multi-track duties are handled by the Roland.

:)

Thanks everyone, especially BentRabbit. That answers my question in whole about SONAR 8 Studio. I know that this is a Cakewalk forum, but do most other software brands work like this(where you only need an interface for live recording)?

It is the computer, not the studio software, for which you need the interface. Any signals put onto the audio bus of the computer will be record ready for any music recording suite- assuming the software package can recognise and use the interface drivers. For this, as stated above, check the FAQs on the makers site for whatever music software you buy to make sure your hardware will be okay to use. Even if the interface is not listed you can usually get the recording suite to use them. The idea of using the interface, whether it be PCI, PCI-e, USB or firewire, is to get a better result than using the crappy sound card that came with the computer.

What I am trying to say is- yes. All PC Studio packages use the same principles for recognising sound.

Back