Used Synth Module

muzeman

Hi,

I have a chance to buy a used synth module from Sam Ash.
It's a Roland JP8080 that was used for a display.
They are asking $499.

It looks to be in perfect shape,and sounds fine.

What concerns me is,it's at least a couple of years old and has been on 10 hours a day,6 days a week for that amount of time.

I'm wondering what the life expectancy of something like this would be.

Do you guys think it would be worth it?

Thanks,
Pete

Actually it's a toss-up between the 8080 and a Korg MS2000R.

The Korg is new,both are the same price.
The Roland just sounded a little better to me.

I'm looking for ELP,King Crimpson type synth sounds.

Will they honor a warranty for it? Might be a good deal if you're covered for a year or something ...

I tried the XV-88 and liked the sounds pretty well ...

How's the used-gear market where you live? I don't know how much they cost, but are you looking for like analog lead synth sounds and pads? If so, a used analog, or, prolly for more $$, a used Nord lead might be worth considering?

Man the Roland and Korg are just waaaay different creatures. Get the Korg if what you want is feaky cool electro-maniac sounds. Get the Roland if you expect to get a passable piano or organ sound not to mention drums ect..

I have a Korg MS2000 and I highly recommend it but I would need to have a 'standard' type module no matter what and the Roland fits that bill.

geekgurl,jake-owa-Thanks very much for the info,I really appreciate it!
Still deciding on which one.
They have a used Virus,$800 though!

Thanks,
Pete

Regarding your original question, the main thing I would be concerned about is if the LCD is still bright and easy to read. It normally doesn't hurt gear to be turned on for long periods, as after all that is what it is designed to do! So if it looks mint and works perfectly, then it should be fine for years to come. A warranty with it would be good though. Since it is from a store, it should have a warranty, even if it is a demo unit.

Back