Use of "Very Pitch" on VS-880EX

larrypatterson

I briefly mentioned my use of the “Very Pitch” function in an earlier post, but thought the following additional info might be of use to someone.

I record at the standard sample rate of 44.10, but often use the “Very Pitch” (speed control) to slow down the playback ½ step (41.46) while I lay down a guitar lead. For instance, if the original was recorded in the key of “A” at 44.10, it will playback in B# at 41.46, but be a little slower. You can even slow down and record at 1 or 1 ½ pitches slower to really sound fast on playback at the normal 44.10. You will be amazed at how much better the lead sounds (sometimes).

Also, see what you’re mix recorded at 44.10 sounds like played back at a faster 46.79, which is ½ step higher. I often record my final mix down to CD played back at the faster 46.79. It seems to add punch and drive to some mixes and can turn a “so, so” sounding mix into a kick ass song. Pushing “Shift” and “Very Pitch” at the same time during playback, you can switch back and forth between speeds and hear the difference. You may like the slightly faster mix better.

Guitar, drum and keyboard tracks seem to sound normal played back a ½ step faster. However, going up more than one whole step starts altering the sound quite a bit. (You can make a guitar sound like a mandolin by recording it 2 steps low.) Vocals do not seem to survive even ½ step increase and usually need to be recorded at the faster speed (the speed at which you are actually going to play back). I often record two versions of vocals: one at 44.10, and another at 46.79.

Changing speed with the “Very Pitch” function does not permanently alter anything; so don’t be afraid to try it. However, a “Song” will be “Saved” at whatever speed is currently selected when you “Save” it. I often save songs to the faster speed, if that is what I plan to use for final mix down. Of course, you can always slow it back down to 44.10, even if it was saved at 46.79.

More good news: CD recorders with auto sample rate conversion (like my Marantz CDR 500) will not alter the playback speed – that is to say, they will record the song at the faster playback speed, but it will be recorded at 44.10 on the CD. A win, win situation.

You can find the exact pitch of an altered speed (sample rate) setting by recording a known tone (E, for instance) at 44.10, then slowing it down or speeding it up and finding the exact speed for +/- ½, 1, 1 ½, 2 pitches, using a guitar tuner. The tuner will tell you when you are right on pitch. I made the following chart, based upon a standard 44.10 sample rate.

-2 35.03
-1½ 37.05
-1 39.29
-½ 41.64
Standard Pitch 44.10
+½ 46.79
+1 49.47

Give it a try. It may be “Cheating,” but I always figure that if you are going to record a song track at a time, correcting errors by punching in and out, using every signal processing effect known to man, anything is fair game. The end result is the only important thing. How you got there doesn’t matter (other than actually stealing someone else’s material and presenting it as you own).

D. Larry Patterson

You say that if you record in "A" at 44.10 it will playback in "B#" at 41.46. Shouldn't that be "G#" or am I not tracking (pardon the pun) corretly here??
Otherwise thanks for the tips at recording at slightly slower speeds and the related tips!!!!!!!!!
Blommington

I screwed up

Of course you are right. As I was trying to show it was a half step lower than A, I actually wanted to say A Flat, but I didn't have the flat symbol on my keyboard, so I meant to say G#, but for some unknown reason said B# instead. I guess I need to do a better job of proof reading. Thanks for the catch. If people took my mistake for granted they would have gotten the wrong idea.

Larry

Back