use compression on vocals while recording or during mix

solarscar

Hello, My vocal track seems to be all over the place, i know i need to get a compressor, but are you guys using it while going to tape, after or both?

A LOOSE "rule of thumb" would be to gently limit peaks on the way in (if you need to) and compress after.

The only reason you wouldn't want to regularly compress on the way to tape (?!?) is that once it's there, your stuck with it. The more practical experience you get with it, the more you're able to get away with.

Gentle limiting does (essentially) nothing to everything that's NOT a peak. So, applying more "traditional" compression later can still be done with a minimum of compressor setting "battles" going on.

a limiter is a device that will not let db spikes to go above a certain level (o db on an adat) correct?

What will a compressor do then? Doesn't it make all audio levels to be the same and not be so dynamic?? i.e. all over the meter.

I guess i need a quick understanding of this, i have to buy these two devices along with a gate.

Thanks!

Honestly when recording to digital you shouldn't be going over -6db ever. I'd set a compressor to start kicking in around -8db with a 2 or 3:1 ratio rather than strictly hard limit. You may go a bit over -6db but you won't clip unless you really give it some juice.

solarscar said:
a limiter is a device that will not let db spikes to go above a certain level (o db on an adat) correct?

What will a compressor do then? Doesn't it make all audio levels to be the same and not be so dynamic?? i.e. all over the meter.

I guess i need a quick understanding of this, i have to buy these two devices along with a gate.

Thanks!
When the ratio is above 10:1 it's considered limiting instead of compressing. Infinity to one "in theory" should be a brick wall. Don't trust that wall - Always leave a little headroom. If you want to limit the peaks, you're looking at 2-4dB of limiting tops. Anything more drastic than that is another issue.

although i never compress on the way in... i pretty much agree with cloneboy except that i don't start to worry until i get to about -3db consistently.

Cloneboy Studio said:
Honestly when recording to digital you shouldn't be going over -6db ever.

Why is that? Just because peaks usually clip your track or is there some truth about the last 6 db? :o

Back