USB2 budget audio interface

Johnnybone

Note: I've posted this on the newbie forum first, copied it now here, seems more appropriate.

Hello there,

This is my first post here (er... not anymore i guess), so don't flame me right away :)

I'm João, from Lisbon, Portugal, and as a musician I have some experience recording in studios both bass guitar and trombone (the instruments i can actually play...). So I'm not a noob in what relates to being in a studio and watching people do miracles with pro tools (and a lot of auto tunes after my takes ;) ).

The thing is, i've never been on the producer side myself and I'm setting up my own recording rig in the basement. As far as mics, amps, and instrument go, i already have the equipment. Also, I already have a worthy computer equipped with reaper for my basic needs.

Now, what i don't have is an audio interface, and my purse is currently extra slim, so i'll have to go for the cheapest i can find for the moment. Well, not actually the cheapest, for there are a couple of things i need.

First, it has to be USB2.
Second, it must have a MIDI interface.
Third: I only need a couple of inputs, i'm not a drummer.

As far as mic preamps go, I already have a mixer with decent built in preamps and i'm not interested in condenser mics, so no biggie on not having phantom power if that lowers the price a bit.

The cheapest interface i've found on a primary search, were the Tascam 122L (125€), the Tascam 144 (150€) and the E-MU 404 (150€).

I've not made my mind yet about what to buy, so i'd be very happy to read some opinions. Also, if you happen to know other interfaces that suit me, that have about the same price tag, do tell!

Hey,

I have the EMU 404 USB 2.0 Interface and it is incredibly solid for the price. I am cranking the stock preamps to almost 30-40 db of gain recording vocals and its still all clean. Pretty good for stock preamps.

Direct no latency monitoring. Very cool.

48v phantom power. MIDI. Decent converters? I thought I read that somewhere at least. It has served me very well, Ive only had it for a couple months though so I can't comment on longevity.

Back