USB Soundcards - PROS/CONS

ja_cote

Hiya.

This topic has probably been discussed MANY times. My apologies if I'm unearthing age old debates.

Here are my needs:

Stereo Recording from Stereo Output Devices (Sound Modules, Mics, Synths, Pre-Amps) - Or, at the very least, Right and Left recording/output. Currently I have an Audigy MP3 card. If the device I am running through the line in port is mono, then all I get is left channel recording and left channel/speaker playback.

Easy access to be able to switch devices quickly, effortlessly.

Easy portability, meaning, I plan to to upgrade my PC at some point and don't want the hassle of hardware install/uninstall. Plus, I will have a laptop and desktop but only the budget for one sound card (hypothetical).

Here are my thoughts:

M-Audio USB sound devices, on paper, would seem to be a nice option for me. Addresses my needs.

The million dollar question - Do USB devices record high quality sound with solid performance? I record only one instrument at a time. Guitars, mics and Synth/Sound Modules.

ALTERNATIVELY - Could I just buy a stereo/mono mixer and take my stereo input or 2 channel input devices (left/right), mix thewm on the board and then use the headphone or line out (if one available) and run that to my line in jack on my existing Audigy PCI card? Basically, what I'm trying to get away from isthe problem I am having with mono devices and only one input on my soundcard. 1 input from a mono device = recording/monitoring/playback through my left channel/speaker only. It's like, it's a stereo input and needs something coming in that is stereo or split. I dunno...it's late..my head is spinning.

Thanks,

Jeff

Last edited:
Back