USB or normal condenser microphone?

Magic-G

Hi Guys

So I'm the process of purchasing brand new recording equipment for my home studio. I used to make music 6 years then I decided to quit and focus on the other things.

However a months ago I decided to make a comeback because I generally love music. Times have changed and I'm learning about recording techniques all over again, I'm not great at audio engineering.

I want to find out if I should purchase a Audio Technica USB Recording Microphone or a normal condenser mic for the best results.

I don't really have a big budget, but I want to make sure that my vocals are crystal clear.

Thank you.

For recording music and vocals, go with the XLR condenser. Of course, this means you will also need an interface for audio/digital conversion to your computer (USB mics will have built-in A/D converters, but with lower quality results).

The XLR condenser with interface will allow you to record more than one instrument/vocal at a time via a single USB PC connection (requires interface with multiple inputs), whereas the USB mic allows only itself to be recorded via it's single connection.

XLR condenser and interface rig is way more expensive, so you'll also need to take that into consideration.

Generally speaking, XLR condenser mics would be used for music production - USB for podcast/streaming.

Please stand by for further announcements...

Last edited:
Now, I really do mean this with the greatest respect but, you say "I want to make sure my vocals are crystal clear" How will you know that? How will you hear them replayed?

I know some USB mics also have headphone outputs but I doubt the whole setup is that useful for 'music making'? Podcasting. Fine. You say you don't have a big budget. How not big is it please? What follows is me taking SOME TIME on your behalf to price a recording system that will give very acceptable results at about the lowest cost...

Microphone. If you want a capacitor the Mackie EM-91C at around £70* is pretty good. It even comes ready with an XLR-XLR cable (but ffs get a spare asap!) However a dynamic mic might suit your voice better. Classic is the Shure SM58 but there are now many excellent dynamics around at a third the price.

You need an Audio Interface and the Behringer UMC 202 is about the cheapest I would recommend at ~£64. It will work very well with the Mackie mic and its pre amps are good enough for vocals with a '58.

Closed back headphones. The Sennheiser HD 206 at £25 are hard to beat but cans are rather personal so try a few if you can.

Now, you CAN manage without a mic stand but you can get something very serviceable for 20 quid.

Once you have that lot setup you will still find your recordings pretty vile. That is because your room needs 'treatment'. Not expensive to do some basics but leave us leave that for the next post?

*I have given prices in £UK you can look up for local monies.

Dave.

Welcome, MagicG.

I will echo what both Spantini and ECC have said. An decent XLR condenser mic will be a better solution long term. The only time I've used USB mics is either with a phone or with a webcam, where I really don't care what the sound quality is as long as it's intelligible. 100% of my music recording is done with conventional XLR mics, both dynamic and condenser types.

It appears that you are in South Africa, Something like a Focusrite or Presonus package might give you good starting point. (Focusrite Solo Studio) (Presonus Audiobox package) You get a mic, interface and headphones for R4000 to R4500. If you are ONLY going to be recording vocals, then a one channel interface will be enough, but if you ever plan to record with a piano or guitar and vocals, then think about having 2 to 4 channels. Get the right interface, and you can add new mics as you need and have funds. I started with 2 mics when I got back into recording about 15 years ago. Now I have a suitcase full.

If you are doing computer recording, you'll need a DAW. I would HIGHLY recommend Reaper or Bandlab. Reaper is low cost but EXTREMELY powerful, Bandlab is free.

USB mics can be technically pleasant nowadays, but the simple fact that they lock you into using ONLY one mic is a killer. Stereo recording? Nope. Singing while playing the guitar? One mic status is something people grow out of very quickly.

Thank you guys for your valuable input. I decided to purchase the audio technica at2020 (XLR connection) as most you advised. And I also went through an article that I found on their site regarding home recording studio setup. Although its quite short but I was able to refresh my memory and I'll continue to do my research and maybe take a short course online.

Back