USB Mixing Question

mattver

I don't know if this is the correct place to ask this, if its not, I apologize.

I need some sort of usb interface that allows for 8 channels in and 8 channels out.

The only thing I have found that seems to be exactly what I need is the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra. I just have this feeling that there is a much cheaper way to do this. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could record 8 tracks separately through usb 2.0 (on a small budget). I would even settle for 6 tracks.

Thanks!

That's about as cheap as it gets man. And don't confuse '8 channels out' with how many tracks you can record at once. Outs on an interface is how many line outs you can send from your DAW thru the interface. The 1641 I use is a 16X4. That means 16 separate tracks simultaneously, with 4 separate line outs for monitoring/outboard gear etc. It can be confusing when an interface such as the Lexicon Omega, has 6 inputs, yet only has two track (at once) recording capability. Just like a cheap USB mixer that may have multiple input channels, but really only sends 2 to your DAW. If it is USB 1, it only sends two. USB 2 can send up to 16, but there are few interfaces that do this. Research is your best course. And try to raise your budget if you need that many channels.

Oh, and don't forget that even if an interface has 8 channels, it don't necessarily mean you can run 8 mics through it. You need a preamp for each mic. Most interfaces do not have a preamp for each channel.

Okay, thanks a lot everyone! Looks like I'm going to have to find some money.
I'm fairly new to recording, so if you guys have any other tips for recording to computer, I would appreciate them.

Lots of info here in the forum. 'Search' the topics you want to learn about. If ya get stuck, one of us old bastards will help you out. :D

Back