USB MIDI Keyboard & Audio Interface

zimbo

I'm wishing to buy a USB MIDI Keyboard and an Audio Interface (which won't produce latency issues)
My budget is £50 for the keyboard - £50-£70 for the Interface.

Any Recommendations?...

You didn't provide many details.
Very generally, I'll say that:

A. I'm pretty happy with a little Samson keyboard I picked up last summer (Samson Graphite 49) to have a 2nd, smaller, portable keyboard to travel with on vacation. For the price range mentioned, be prepared for 'mini' keys, though - don't know if that's a concern.

B. I have a larger Focusrite interface (18i20) and cannot say enough good things about it. Assuming their quality holds up on their smaller units, you probably won't go wrong with one of their units.

The best advice would be to do two things. First of all, if possible, go out and try some keyboards at a store before purchasing. Secondly, be patient and save a little bit more so you don't just get the cheapest thing around, and soon thereafter have buyers remorse.

Good luck.

If you buy an audio interface that has MIDI as well as audio, then you will not need the USB keyboard. Bear in mind that a USB keyboard is a computer peripheral (like a mouse or a printer). A MIDI keyboard (with 5-pin DIN connectors) is far more versatile in that it can be networked with musical instruments. That may not be an issue when you are first starting out and all you want to do is enter notes into a computer, but if you will find it easier to expand your setup later if you begin by getting a MIDI interface onto your computer. That way your computer is becoming part of a musical instrument network rather than a single keyboard becoming part of a computer network.

Back