USB Microphones?

cons:

* attached to a one channel preamp and a/d converter, neither of which is likely to be very high quality.

* probably lacks the ability to synchronize clocks with other a/d devices, and so must be used alone, limiting your recording to one mono track at a time.

pros:

You forgot:

Cons:

Usually uses a crappy mic element.
Often lacks any way to monitor it usefully (no headphone jack).
Usually has high latency.

Pros:

They're really just for people doing podcasting.

Dont seriously consider them for recording music.

Get an interface and proper mics.

Pros:
- They're cheap.
- You can give them as Christmas presents and not get cursed for not also getting them a decent preamp and interface.

Cons:
- They sound cheap. (relatively)
- You can only use them with a computer.
- There is no upgrade "path".

yada yada yada.....

I just bought a Blue Icicle, but for a specific use: I do a lot of FFT analysis on my laptop, and wanted to work with my netbook, but the soundcard in that is all noise. I debated between a cheap USB sound card substitute with 1/8" in and outs and the Icicle, and since I have some nice real mics, chose the Icicle.

For that, it's a good solution, and I'm happy, but for other uses, the lack of a second channel seems problematic (but I have other options for that). I don't think I'll be recording concerts on my netbook anytime soon.

What exactly were you going to do with it? That would seem to dictate more than anything else what you should do. I think for podcasting, it would be fine, but so would a small mic plugged into your computer, depending on your computer's native sound.

Back