USB interface for mixing down

Will25

I've got a Tascam 488 mk II cassette and was hoping to mix down to my Macbook...what would be a "good" interface to use? I know there's more than one but some different opinions would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

Something like that is pretty much whatever you prefer. Any software will do your basic editing functions. You should choose whatever you are comfortable with and can afford. I like ProTools because I'm familiar with it and decent with it. Others may find it either too complex, or too expensive. You can find far simpler and cheaper programs. If you don't specifically need an interface I'd suggest downloading 'audacity' for free. My guess however is that you'd need an interface to get your Tascam tracks to your computer and thus need the interface. At the end of the day its just whatever you prefer because most are basically the same with a few different bells and whistles.

He's asking about interfaces, not DAW's.

Your answer remains correct, but just wanted to point that out.

That wasn't really the question I was asking but thanks anyway, as it is another thing I'm thinking about. I've heard Reaper is good (and it's free) so I'm going to wise up with that and see how I get on. I've just bought a new Macbook so hopefully I can get some good results.

My budget is fairly limited...up to £200 would be ideal. I already have an EMU 0204, it's ok but I just wondered if there was anything out there that would give noticeably better results at a close price...

Back