USB drum kit, does it trigger with midi, HOW?

breeeeza

Senior MemBREH
basically im not great with midi anyway but i recently bought a usb drum kit so i could trigger random sounds and use it with my acoustic drum kit, http://www.firebox.com/index.html?dir=firebox&action=product&pid=1573&src_t=sbk&src_id=drum , thats what i bought.
I have tried to figure out how to use it to trigger sounds in various plug ins in acid pro 6 but none have worked. Firslt i would like to know if it actually triggers the sounds via midi in the first place, in the software it says its using a 'joystick port,' which i know is used for midi. And also could someone reccommend me a software or plug in that will allow me to pretty simply trigger wave files i have on my PC using the pads? Thanks

reading that, i see no mention of midi, i think it might just trigger the built in samples directly.

Daav

Ah, it probabaly records the midi performance, then you put it in cubase or wahtever and then map the perfomance to a software drum machine to trigger samples. It might even translate the midi in real time.

To clarify, in cubase if i use my midi controller to play piano for instance, the midi performance is recorded visually on the track as a series of small bars, each one corresponding to the part played, with the bar's length determining how long the note is held or whatever. The midi recording doesn't sound like anything. When you assign the part to a vertual intrument, it takes each note (or drum hit) and translates that into the trigger for the sample.

Obviously i don't know a hell of alot about the techincal stuff either, but maybe that helps a bit.

Daav

daav said:
Ah, it probabaly records the midi performance, then you put it in cubase or wahtever and then map the perfomance to a software drum machine to trigger samples. It might even translate the midi in real time.

To clarify, in cubase if i use my midi controller to play piano for instance, the midi performance is recorded visually on the track as a series of small bars, each one corresponding to the part played, with the bar's length determining how long the note is held or whatever. The midi recording doesn't sound like anything. When you assign the part to a vertual intrument, it takes each note (or drum hit) and translates that into the trigger for the sample.

Obviously i don't know a hell of alot about the techincal stuff either, but maybe that helps a bit.

Daav
Thanks alot, i will buy it and see what they sell, hopefully i will be able to do it in real time! Thanks

agh imho-- avoid those ion kits-- they are toys at best!
i had one for a few days and the onboard sounds were terrible, the triggering was inconsitent and somewhat spastic (especially the kick trigger which would trigger randomly and the pedal itself was flimsier than a keyboard sustain pedal).
i dunno ymmv

Back