USB Audio Interface...

johnnypraze

Hip Hop Head
I haven't shopped for something low end for some time...

A friends FX Module died and he wants to play his guitar with live fx and possibly do some recording, but is having serious latency issues on his PC. I want to purchase some kind of interface for him but not sure what all is out there...

I'm talking cheap as possible. (Under $100)

So far looking at:
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Pod-Studio-GX-with-Pod-Farm?sku=250006
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESI-UGM96-Guitar-and-Mic-USB-Audio-Adapter?sku=581019
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...m-3-Computer-Recording-System?sku=703327#used

Anything else to check out?

I honestly don't think you're going to defeat latency for $100.
Most ASIO supporting interfaces are more expensive than that.
There's always Wave RT mind you.
Does your friend have Vista?

I think Tascam us-122 would be good. Here's one on ebay for $105 including shipping http://cgi.ebay.com/Tascam-US-122L-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a54c3c735. I've seen them go as low as $85 or something including shipping.

ART Dual Pre looks so-so, but is cheaper (looks like they're going for $80 on ebay currently) http://cgi.ebay.com/Art-USBDualPre-2-usb-dual-pre-usbdual-pre-STOCK-NYC_W0QQitemZ290348040834QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439a178282. It's USB 1.0 though, so 44KHz 16-bit max.

If his computer has a firewire port, Presonus Firebox is my favorite. Got mine used on ebay for $138 total.

If his computer has a firewire port, Presonus Firebox is my favorite. Got mine used on ebay for $138 total.
No firewire so limited there.

I honestly don't think you're going to defeat latency for $100.
Most ASIO supporting interfaces are more expensive than that.
There's always Wave RT mind you.
Does your friend have Vista?

Yes he's on Vista... I'm not familiar with Wave RT, enlighten me.

Windows, not to be out done by Steinberg have come up with their own version of ASIO; Wave RT. The "RT" stands for real time.
It shows up on my Mixcraft DAW as an option even if I don't have an interface hooked up.
So it depends on the DAW your friend is using.

Windows, not to be out done by Steinberg have come up with their own version of ASIO; Wave RT. The "RT" stands for real time.
It shows up on my Mixcraft DAW as an option even if I don't have an interface hooked up.
So it depends on the DAW your friend is using.

He's using Reaper at the moment...

Didn't see the option on there. Is it something that can be downloaded?

Naw!
The DAW has to include it as an option.
Given Windows' history of monopolization, folks aren't exactly clambering on-board.
I promised Acoustica that I wouldn't do this any more but while you're sitting there, why not download a free trial of Mixcraft 4 (it'll take you 10 minutes) then have a look under Preferences....Audio Devices.. Something like that. If you're on Vista, Wave RT will be an option, If not, you'll see it but won't be able to use it.

Naw!
The DAW has to include it as an option.
Given Windows' history of monopolization, folks aren't exactly clambering on-board.
I promised Acoustica that I wouldn't do this any more but while you're sitting there, why not download a free trial of Mixcraft 4 (it'll take you 10 minutes) then have a look under Preferences....Audio Devices.. Something like that. If you're on Vista, Wave RT will be an option, If not, you'll see it but won't be able to use it.

Thanks Jim. I actually did that right after you first mentioned it... :D

Very streamlined program. Nice and clean.

The Wave RT driver helped but not enough. (at 20ms still too much delay to try and play while monitoring.) I've never really had this problem, (I've never tried to record through an onboard soundcard while monitoring) so I haven't been much help.

We also tried both programs on my notebooks soundcard and had the same issue. I guess a interface is a must, but I don't want to buy something and him still have this problem.

You think a cheap USB interface will fix this?

The others mentioned USBs that they thought would do it.
Other than experimenting with some different models, my real experience is with
The Fast Track USB, $100. That won't help you.
Fast Track Pro. $200 - 250. That would do it.
Echo Mona.... Priceless.
I think what you really need is a separate mixer with headphones.

A friends FX Module died and he wants to play his guitar with live fx and possibly do some recording, but is having serious latency issues on his PC. I want to purchase some kind of interface for him but not sure what all is out there...
The Fast Track Pro has inserts if that helps.

I have a Line 6 GX interface. No latency problem at all. And PODfarm amp models are also very good. My favourite is Fender Blackface. It also sound nice with some hardware stompboxes I have. As a DAW i use sometimes bundeled Abletone Live. I like how FX control section realized on this. I think it is a best solution for the problem.

Cheerz!!

Back