Usable synth and organ sounds "on the cheap"

keybunk

Any one have a recommended sound module or keyboard that does decent synth and organ sounds on the cheap? Something used that is yesterday's technology (can't afford the new stuff).

Looking for decent B3, pipe org, rock synthy sounds.

I'm talking 200 to 300 bucks (USD) for a module or keyboard. Not a softsynth or tabletop, I need to gig with it.

Thx,
k

It only does the organ sounds, but the Voce Micro B-II module might be worth a look. Don't know how much it's going for these days ... The Micro B-II is supposed to be much better than the Micro B. I may be selling my B-II (I just upgraded to a Nord Electro). Anyway, between that and say a Roland JV1010 module you'd be set ... but there's all kinds if keyboards out there that are decent for the synthy sounds. But I imagine you'd be looking at about $200 PER MODULE, so that would be over your budget, right?

I've even gained a new appreciation for my Roland U20 lately, as out of necessity I've had to program lots of stuff into it. I'm actually surprised at the depth of features it has and the quality of sounds I can get by editing them! Since you are asking about modules, I assume you have a keyboard to play them thru already?

FWIW, I've learned that a great piano sound on its own isn't always the one that cuts thru the mix ... the one on the U20 actually works well for how I'm playing it in the band situation. But on its own the piano sound kinda sucks.

Well, enough rambling. Hope there's something useful in it ...

keybunk said:
I'm talking 200 to 300 bucks (USD) for a module or keyboard. Not a softsynth or tabletop, I need to gig with it.

GFL on the pipe organ - I've NEVER heard one I liked, no matter how expensive.

If you really want to stay cheap, check out a used Roland XP-10. There are some useable B-3 and EP patches, though I don't like the interface or the keys, and the sounds aren't editable in any useful way.

A used Alesis QSR or QS-6.1 or 7 or 7.1 would be better, but I'm not sure if they go that cheap. Stay away from the QS-6 (.0), it was way inferior. In addition to boatloads of sounds, they're editable, and there are expansion soundcards with some very good sounds, especially the Vintage Keys and Vintage Synths cards. Cards are $250 list, but I just picked up a used one for $20.

geekgurl said:
It only does the organ sounds, but the Voce Micro B-II module might be worth a look.
I'l have to investigate those, thx for the tip!!

Well, enough rambling. Hope there's something useful in it ...
Yep, thanx geekgurl!!

Re: Re: Usable synth and organ sounds "on the cheap"

dafduc said:
GFL on the pipe organ - I've NEVER heard one I liked, no matter how expensive.
Bummer!!

...If you really want to stay cheap, check out a used Roland XP-10. ....
I'll have to check those out.

Thx for the tips, folks!!!

Back