US-122: can't monitor while recording

MichaelG

I've got a US-122 and can't monitor the input from the computer while recording. The "direct monitor" feature works fine, and I can hear previously recorded tracks just fine, but I can't get the sound input to pass back out from the computer while recording. I thought the US-122 was "full duplex" but it's not behaving that way.

The US-122 is selected for both input and output in the Windows "sounds and audio devices" section of Control Panel. I've tried three different programs (GoldWave, Adobe Audition, and Cubasis VST) and have each configured to get input from and output to the US-122. With each, though, I still get the same results: when a track is armed, I can't hear anything; when a track is being recorded, I can't hear anything; when I play back a recorded track, it's all good. I can also hear previously recorded tracks during a recording, just not the current track.

I'm running Win XP Pro on a Dell Latitude D800 with a 1.3 GHz Centrino, 512 MB RAM, and 30 GB hard drive (4200 rpm).

Any help?

I know that Adobe Audition doesn't support "live" input monitoring, and would be willing to bet that Goldwave doesn't either, (I could be wrong about Goldwave, I'm not too familiar with it).

Cubase VST.. I have never used it before.

I'm assuming here that you're trying to monitor thru the software in order to use the effects "live", on the input signal as you track, right?

Strryder said:
I'm assuming here that you're trying to monitor thru the software in order to use the effects "live", on the input signal as you track, right?

Yes, that's correct. I wasn't aware of the Audition monitoring limitation. I'll look into that and/or try something else.

Thanks for the reply--

Michael

Monitoring

I posted a message a little while ago regarding monitoring from Acid, here's the reiteration of a config that has worked for us and most likely will work for you. Send the direct monitor outs (rear RCA's) to your PC speakers (if they are amplified). To monitor the full mix we routed another set of monitors from the host application, so basically we route the instrument signals to live monitors and then a seperate out for the full mix, a little bit too involved. And strange as the US122 boasts that it can route the full mix from those RCA's without latency. I am still figuring this device out after a week, so stay tuned and maybe we can all get it right!
Also, check out the launch/Yahoo US122 user forums, I have been getting tips over there too.

Chris D'Asta CEO Nanolabs Multimedia
www.nanolabsmultimedia.cjb.net

Back