URGENT. Purchasing drum OHs within the next week or so

drummerfreak33

Ok people. I have asked about this before, but this is my last chance to get advice. Im not friends with many recording enthusiasts, or drummers. I am purchasing a matched pair of OH condensers for drum recording.

The ones that I have looked at at all are like the rode nt5, the oktava MC012, mxl 993, behringer b-5, akg c430, Nady CM90 and CM95, the samson C02s, AT 3031, and 3032. Whatever well those are the ones ive seen anything about. Im looking for not paying more than like 300.

Please give me advice, and tell me experiences. let me know what ones are the best for the price range. THANKS!

Last edited:
I just bought the Rode NT5s last week. I haven't had a chance to hang them over my drums yet, but they do sound quite nice on the piano. I've used the Behri B5s before, but haven't made a direct comparison.

If you want I can record some of the NT5s and show you what the Behri sounds like so you can compare. The only problem is that I wont be able to record in very nice rooms at the moment (currently staying at my parents place)

Dude that would be so awesome if you could do that for me! Let me know what your whole setup is just so i have an idea of what your working with. Thats actually good that your not working with a great room, Im currently in my parents basement. you work with what ya got right? let me know bro

Cloneboy, explain to me why you feel this way. Once again, I have not owned any of these, and Im just curious on which are the best to pick up. Why are the ones named not great, and why are the nt1s so great?

They just sound a bit dull and mushy.

The Rode NT1's are cheap and good, if you buy older, not made in China ones. Even the newer ones sound better than the mics you list IMHO.

Oktava

They kick ass for O.H.
Look at the stats.
If you want the best for the buck get the OKTAVAS.
Otherwise get Nuemans :)

I've heard of Neumann but what's a Nueman? :)

IMHO the best budget condenser ever made was the (not made in China) Rode NT1's. You can find them CHEAP nowadays.

I'll use NT1's every time unless there are some 414's, 451's or better around.

Cloneboy Studio said:
I've heard of Neumann but what's a Nueman? :)

IMHO the best budget condenser ever made was the (not made in China) Rode NT1's. You can find them CHEAP nowadays.

I'll use NT1's every time unless there are some 414's, 451's or better around.
How well are the NT1's matched? I can only find single ones by themselves. Are they bright or dark? Do they work well for vocals or acoustic guitar?

Bdrum Where you saying that to me? I am still wondering if cloneboy thinks that the rodes are good on other things like acoustic guitar and vocals. Also I think this has been asked before, but what are the differences in sound and price between the mc-012's and the mk-012's? Thanks a lot!

patlang12 said:
Bdrum Where you saying that to me? I am still wondering if cloneboy thinks that the rodes are good on other things like acoustic guitar and vocals. Also I think this has been asked before, but what are the differences in sound and price between the mc-012's and the mk-012's? Thanks a lot!

SORRY :cool:

patlang12 said:
I am still wondering if cloneboy thinks that the rodes are good on other things like acoustic guitar and vocals.

NT1's are fairly bright mics that can sound a bit thin on acoustic guitar IMHO. They'll do in a pinch, however.

Vocally NT1's can sound pretty darn good. You'd be surprised.

Granted, I don't reach for an NT1 nowadays unless I have to. My LDC mic of choice is the AKG 414 BULS. Versatile, sounds great, multi-pattern and great on everything from drums, to guitar to vocals. Every serious studio needs some 414's!

I'd venture to say that, all things considered, 414's are the most useful mics I've used yet. Sounds great on everything. U87's are great too, but 3 times the cost.

Back