UR44C - Android vs. iPad vs Win10

expatCanuck

Greetings -

I have a UR44C and a pair of AT4041's.
Recording vox & guitar.

So far, I've tried recording to a Samsung Tab S6 (Open Camera recording) and a Lenovo X390 (i5 10210U, 8 GB) running Audacity.

The S6 was released August 2019; the X390 in Feb. 2019.

The former sounded clean and accurate. The latter sounded wretched -- nasty distortion, as tho' it was being overdriven.

I'd love to know if the tablet is fundamentally better suited to the task, or if the issue might lie with a Windows driver and/or Audacity.

I'll be trying a GarageBand recording on my wife's Gen6 iPad (March 2018) tonight -- if I can get there iPad to recognize the UR44C.

Any & all insight, analysis and wild speculation welcome.

Last edited:
The audio interface doesn't change its behavior because it's plugged into something else. If anything it's a difference in the gain setting, which, all things being equal, should be the same regardless of device, and then the mix level in the software app/DAW in use.

I use a UR44C with my iMac all the time and it's fine. (No experience using it on a Windows system.) I am using the Steinberg/Yamaha driver for the high-speed (USB 3) mode, but Core Audio works in USB 2.0 mode on MacOS. I have not tried to use it with my ancient iPad or fairly modern iPhone because I just have no need to do that (I use a Zoom F8n if recording audio outside of my music room). For iOS devices you'll have to the UR44C with an AC adapter as well as need one of these, from everything I have read:

If you are using Audacity, are you using the Steinberg driver? I don't remember Audacity supporting ASIO, so you may be using native Windows drivers. If you don't have things set properly, you can overdrive the system.

Personally, I only use Audacity for quick and dirty tweaks, edits and converting to different formats like MP3 or FLAC. For ANY recording, I use Reaper, even if I'm just digitizing a mono tape.

Check the Windows audio settings (which can come into play even when using an external interface). They are usually set at 100% (in and out).

After registering the interface and installing its driver software, it’s time to connect it to your computer. UR interfaces connect with standard USB A to B cables and operate on the USB 2.0 protocol for maximum compatibility. UR12’s and UR22’s are USB bus-powered via USB 2.0 port, which means they receive power over the USB connection instead of a power adapter. You can also connect it to a USB power adapter or mobile battery with a micro USB cable. The micro USB connections on the UR12 and UR22 is only for power; it will not transmit data. All other UR interfaces are not bus-powered and require the use of their included external power supply. Software development companies list

I agree, driver issue with Audacity. It SHOULD work but you need the right Windows driver. Better to use Reaper and ASIO drivers. go to...https://o.steinberg.net/en/support/downloads_hardware/downloads_ur_c.html

and download the drivers etc. Then read the setup procedure and follow it TO THE LETTER. I have hooked up 1/2 doz different interfaces with all the Windows versions from XP up (not 11 yet) and in the early days tried to 'wing it'. Never works.

Dave.

Back