Upgrading to a better firewire interface worth it?

KingDiamond

So I always read online that the A/D converter is really important in firewire interfaces. Are there any online examples of this phenomenon? For example, one clip recorded via a cheap firewire interface and another with a higher quality interface? I'm just curious because I have had a Presonus Firepod for two years now and I'm happy with it, although I only use two inputs because I track all instruments seperately but I might record my band live eventually. I'm happy with my recordings but I'm wondering if upgrading to something like the RME 400 or 800 firewire interface would make a noticeable difference in my recordings.

At the risk of giant flames being hurled in my direction: yes but not really

The RME units are excellent, not just for their sound, but for their attention to making some of the best drivers.

That said, the converters themselves wont spell the difference between a hit and a dud. An ABX test of an album done with one vs the other will likely come up ambiguous

I forgot who posted it or which forum it was where I read it, I could try and look for it and post the link here... point is, a test was done on a triangle amongst other instruments (because of its harmonics and going over 20kHz) with apogee and soundblaster and couldn't really notice the difference from the converters... or something to that effect (I guess I should look it up and re-read it).

Maybe I completely missed the point, but that made me think, or conclude, that upgrading an interface solely on the AD converter parameter would not be such a good idea.

As pipeline said, if along with better converters you get better drivers, more ins and outs, preamps and other benefits, then that's a whole other story.

Mis dos centavos.

In my personal experience, converters, pres and mics are where its at more so than any other piece of gear in the chain (IE, not including acoustics/monitoring/etc.).

What I would recommend is get an m-audio Lightbridge. Get the Behringer ADA8000 to begin with and upgrade from there. My personal goal is a Lightbridge and an Apogee AD-16 for my interface. Maybe two DA 16s if I'm lucky and want to go through an outboard console... but thats all down the road. :)

Brandon

Back