Upgrading recording microphones...need advice!

imsharris

I have started recording more and more and have gotten comfortable using condenser microphones for my acoustic and vocals so I am now looking to upgrade a little bit. My current setup is an MXL 991 on the acoustic and an MXL 990 on the vocals. Both running direct into an Allen and Heath Zed 10FX. I also have a K&K mini in my acoustic so I also run that direct but keep it turned down to just kind of "fill out" the sound a little. I find that the built-in effects on the A&H are pretty good so I use them a little in the mix. I find that with this setup I can actually record directly to my iphone or ipad while I record a video. Works really great for recording a quick demo or video that you want to send off to someone in either a message or email or immediately upload it to the cloud (whichever cloud you use!)

What I am thinking about doing is upgrading the MXL microphones. I am thinking about the Shure SM-81 for the acoustic unless there are other compelling suggestions! I am still trying to decide on a good vocal condenser. Any suggestions and things that I should look for while searching would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you guy have any alternatives that would be better for recording as for as interfaces would be greatly appreciated!

a great choice,
for many applications,
is the Shure KSM44.

multiple patterns
a top choice IMO

but there are so many 'flavors' out there,
peluso has some really nice ones,
ADK,
Rode

Nothing beats going to the store and auditioning mics. There are so many flavors, as Gonzo says, and it is so subjective. Your money can buy so much more these days, and if you are lucky enough to be near enough to an audio store, bring your guitar and favorite headphones (or ones you know well). I too have an A&H (16-2DX for my rehearsing and small gig PA) and like the preamps a lot. And I have Neauman mics for recording as well as cheap Chinese mics that can sometimes live up to the expensive ones in some applications, so it really needs in person shopping.

Back