Upgrading mac os

andybhoy

Yo,
Im thinking of upgrading my imac. I have a 256gb ssd to replace the existing hdd, im going to get a "Genius" at the mac store to do it and while they are at it, put some more memory in it.

That, hopefully shouldnt be a problem. But should I upgrade from Leopard to Lion? I have cubase etc all set up nice.... And while all my plugs etc are kosher, i really cant be assed digging out license emails and boxes and manuals if things go tits up....

Has anyone upgraded? Any problems?

I have done this loads of times with windows but only use mac os in my home studio so im not that familiar with it, still i think id rather do the mac os upgrade myself.. Is it worth it??

Hey there - Unless you absolutely NEED to upgrade to Lion, then don't. Old saying; "If it ain't broke, don't fix"! Snow Leopard happily runs 64bit versions of software. Unless you're going to run Protools 10 HD which requires the latest of everything to operate, then you're not missing anything by sticking with 10.6x (or even 10.5x) and, as you said, you won't need to dig out all your installer DVDs again.
I'm running 10.6 using Logic Pro, and was able to run the Protools10 30day demo version in case I ever have a spare $900 to actually buy the software, so I know it is going to be ok for a while.
Dags

Back