From my current PC I'll salvage:
GForce 2 MX400 video card
Terratec EWX24/96 audio card
6.4GB HDD
LG CD-ROM
3-1/2" FDD
Keyboard, mouse & monitor
& a pair of crappy Chinese powered squeakers

So when I lob everything into a new ATX case with P4 power supply, what will happen when I switch on? Anything? Nothing?

The 6.4GB HDD will have Win98SE already installed, plus all of my current data. Of course at first it will still think it's in the old PC...

What must I do to ensure as smooth a changeover as possible?

--
BluesMeister

Ok, I am going to take a shot at this.

Are you going to upgrade to WinXP? I suggest you do that as well, unless your current software won't work with XP.

I am assuming that the 80gb hdd will be for audio, right? If so, then on IDE channel 1, put the 6.4gb hdd as master, then CD-Rom slave off of that.

On the 2nd IDE channel would be the 80gb hdd.

Install your video and audio card.

Turn on your computer. I am guessing that the computer will tell you some new hardware was found and the drivers need to be installed (or something to that effect).

Transfer your data to your 80gb.

****If you are not upgrading your OS, then, disregard the following****

Make a system diskette (3.5" floppy) if you don't already have one. Make sure fdisk and format are on the floppy. Download the latest drivers for all your hardware and save those files to your 80gb hdd.

Now, fdisk and format your 6.4gb hdd. It is now ready for a clean install of WinXP. Put your shiny new WinXP cd in the CD-Rom and get to installin'!

After you install WinXP point your web browser here and tweak your system as needed.

Have fun!

Oh yeah, if I am directing this individual erroneously, please re-direct...

Vice

Thanks Vice, I appreciate your reply :)

Are you going to upgrade to WinXP? I suggest you do that as well, unless your current software won't work with XP.
I would prefer to stick with my Win98SE for the time being. I fully acknowledge that XP is the preferred OS for DAWs, however it's an additional expense that can't be considered in my present circumstances. So far as I'm aware, CakeWalk HS2002 will work with XP.
I am assuming that the 80gb hdd will be for audio, right?
Correct.

Install your video and audio card. Turn on your computer. I am guessing that the computer will tell you some new hardware was found and the drivers need to be installed (or something to that effect).
Well now we're down to the nitty gritty Vice, my drivers are already loaded on the 6.4GB HDD from the previous system. The only real difference between the two systems is the MOBO, CPU & RAM. All else is the same.

Well, based on your information, the upgrade should be a relatively painless affair. Ah, famous last words... :D I'm not sure when it's going to happen, I have to wait to get paid for a free-lance* job I just did.

--
BluesMeister

I'd do this in such order:

- Backup any data on the old 6GB.

- Format it and reinstall windows 98 on the 6GB.

Set the 80GB as a secondary master for your audio data. (will have to prepare the drive via fdisk, then format)

In otherwords. Start from scratch. You are replacing some very vital components. Win98 rarely copes with that type of surgery (no OS really does). There are all sorts of steps you can take to make it 'sorta' work, but IMO, it's far faster time-wise, better end resultant performance-wise, to just reinstall from zero when doing a major overhaul like you describe.

Good luck.

Emeric,

Thanks for your input.

I just finished speaking with our IT guy, and he pretty much concurs with your suggestions - although he said I should partition the 80GB HDD (1:2 ratio) and install Win 98 on that. He said it will be noticably faster than my miniscule 6.4GB HDD :)

He also suggested that I copy the MOBO IDE driver from the ASUS CD-ROM before I start the upgrade process so that I can point Windows to the MOBO driver on my HDD rather than having to tear my hair out because there's no CD-ROM driver installed. :(

Whichever way I look at this, it seems apparent that a new install of the OS is called for.

Gentlemen, you have my thanks. :)

--
BluesMeister

Back