Upgrading from mbox to 002 Question...

KonradG

Medicated Member
I record two simultaneous (max for mbox 1) tracks on my 3.2 ghz dell laptop 512 ram, and it seems like two is about as much as the damn computer can take. sometimes it wont even record two.

my concern is, im not sure if the 002 has hardware that allows more tracks to be recorded simultaneously with the same processor speed. Is this even possible?

thanks!
conrad

Nope... upgrade the computer but follow the compatibility chart at digidesign unless you like jumping through hoops trying to make profools work.

ok i might as well post this question too:

im in the market for a desktop computer (no more laptops!) and im still trying to decide on mac/pc. i know its the question of the century but i heard that the new pro tools le doesnt even work on the new powermacs.

ive also heard 64 bit is a waste of money as well as dual processors. they are task specific features that do not apply to 99 percent of recording software.

so i guess the question is, will i be better off buying a compatible g4 mac and getting an 002 instead of trying to juice my laptop?

i was looking at this g4, it doesnt include any software and only has 300 something ram, are g4s osx compatible? how much ram will i need to record on a mac?

Hey Konrad,

Well, I am glad to see you considering the Apple approach. It is a very fun route to take.

To answer your questions, Yes, G4's are OSX compatable. Pretty much anything after the blueberry G3 will run OSX, although not great. But a G4 (700 MHz +) will be just fine for you. At least 1 gb of RAM is a good idea, but you will probably want more at some point.

As far as the new Intel Macs, digidesign just released a new version of Pro Tools LE that supports the intels. If you want a new one, you would be fine with that purcahse.

I used to run a g4 1.2 ghz with 1 gig of RAM and Pro Tools LE 6.4 and a digi002. It was an awesome set-up dude. I never had a problem with it.

Good luck, and let me know what you choose.

Back