Upgraded RAM, no change.

Davenhurst

I've just upgraded the RAM on my VAIO laptop from 512 to 1.5 and I'm finding no difference in Cubase SX. Before I was pushing the system to its limits with plugins and plenty of tracks, the VST performance meter seems to be up in the 90% region still. I know, I know - google it, search the forums... I'm on it but I need a solution quick (or at least to be told I'm wasting my time).

I guess I need to shut down a whole host of processes on the system? At the moment this isn't a dedicated music machine but I'd like to make it so (as much as possible). Can anyone recommend a resource showing what to terminate / remove from the system? Thanks in advance. Oh, and if it helps - my processor is Intel Celeron 1.7 GHz. Could that be problematic?

Reading around, it looks like 1.7 GHz won't cut it when running a bunch of reverbs and such, regardless of RAM. Correct? How easy is it to upgrade the CPU on a VAIO laptop?

It's times like this I dream of selling the lot and moving to the mountains.

VST plugins are CPU intensive.

VSTi's (Virtual Instruments), or soft synths/samplers, are memory intensive.

Effects like reverb, chorus, are especially hard on CPU.

Upgrading memory won't really help with things like VST effects, but will help a great deal with softsynths and other memory-hungry things.

Upgrading your CPU would probably help the most when working with VST effects.

CPU upgrade & tweaking the settings in XP to maximise the values for audio. there's a threcent thread that has a link to a page called XPaudio or somesuch. It'll get you running a bit better. Do a search & find it. I pplied MOST of the tweaks to my dedicated audio PC & the diff was fairly impressive - mind you it's a PIII running at only 256 M of RAM so anything would have helped out.
IF you're unsing the comp for other purposes I ASSUME you can apply the tweaks to a new user account specific to your audio needs.

Back