• Poll closed .

Scoob

current setup
home brew pc
echo mia midi
samson mdr6
cakewalk s4pe
various mics

adding m audio dmp-3 (clean & neutral) 116db s/n!!!!
various modded mics etc

emu1212
behringer ultramatch pro scr2496
new cables

echo layla 3g or gina 3g
behringer ultramatch pro scr2496
new cables

echo layla convertors or emu / digidesign

Last edited:
behringer will be used as a standalone ad/da unit as well as a port for different types of digital inputs.

I wouldn't buy behringer A/Ds.

I'm sorry, I'm still a bit confused. You've got the soundcards, so what other digital sources are you going to be using?

I vote: worst poll ever!

why didn't you just say: echo vs. emu?

oh, and I would skip the behri converter, too. the card converters are almost certainly superior.

hmm worst poll ever, i dunno
oh thats right you're the poll G*d
excuse me almighty.........>:(

as for the behringer adc
i'm torn between it and the m audio flying cow
however the behringer has additional optical as well as analog inputs
as well as doing some addition digital to digital signal conversions
not bad for a a bill plus thirty

as far as how i'll be using it it will bassicly be an extension of my current mia midi
i forgot to say that

its not as simple as emu verses echo on brand for me.
i love echo but am also willing to try something new.

i'm still deciding on the layla or gina as i'm not sure if i'll need the adat light pipe

i need a variety of inputs and out as the producers that visit my studio use a variety of equip.

aka byokb unless u can use reason lol.
might be getting a deal on an adat so i can transfer some associates old material.

oh by the way the beringer adc has slightly better numbers than the m audio although i'm aware that sound will vary based on setup for both and the way the convertors are emplimented in the system. unfortunately no store near me has the flying cow so i can compare and the behringer will be instock in a week or so

fyi most of the keyboards and synths we use have digital outs as well as analog but i do have a preference torward the digital connections if i can use them.

Unless you go completely digital, it's the quality of the convertors you're interested in. The moment you have analog inputs, then the convertors become the main issue, IMO. Since you indicated that othersd will be bringin in their own gear, I would focus on the quality of the convertors.

Also, since the only thing differing in the two proposed chains is the sound card, then indeed it is between the Emu and the Echo.

fraserhutch said:
Unless you go completely digital, it's the quality of the convertors you're interested in. The moment you have analog inputs, then the convertors become the main issue, IMO. Since you indicated that othersd will be bringin in their own gear, I would focus on the quality of the convertors.

Also, since the only thing differing in the two proposed chains is the sound card, then indeed it is between the Emu and the Echo.
u make a good point. that being said has anyone compared the convertors in the emu units to the layla convertors?
the beringers are a low cost flexibility option

Back