up-fiddler's February Challenge Entry

up-fiddler

Taming the World--for now
You may listen to it here. This isn't one I am particularly proud of but I whittled my way through the Challenge and learned a bit more in the process. (Like NEVER try and rhyme 1,2,5 and 3,4 again!)

Have You Seen Him Sway?
c.Dave Morehouse 2009

They came from all over the town
To watch him lightly step round
He would swing so free
As the earth left his feet
They called him Sweet Sammy Brown

Have you seen him swaying in the moonlight?
Have you seen him turning in the air?
He would dance so lightly that he barely touched down
In the bars, on the streets, at the fairs.
He would dance for people everywhere.

He was leaving the bar heading west
Going home for some well deserved rest.
But young Angeline
So pure and so clean,
It was clear, was a maiden obsessed.

He knew better than to drink from that cup.
Forbidden fruit never makes for good sup.
But Angeline showed
Him her secret abode
He was still there when they both woke up.

People pressed in from all over the town
To make Sammy dance yet one more round.
And to help him swing free
They strung him up in a tree
Both his name and his skin was Brown.

Fantastic story Dave. This is one of your best pieces in my opinion. I read the lyrics first, and couldn't help using that "Old Man from Nantucket" phrasing in my head. But when I heard your song, there was no sign of that - the melody pulled me away from that - well done! :cool::D:cool::D

Do I need to be registered on that site or something? ... I am unable to listen to the song - the page with the link loads, just not the song itself.

Thanks Gerry

My fault. I should have made the link bigger and a bit more user friendly.:o Thanks for trying to listen though. I hope you were able to get through the second time. Dave aka up-fiddler

lol. Yeah, I got that part :rolleyes: but thanks for the pic anyway. I'll try on my other computer later. Guess its good to know I'm the only one having access problems though.

I like it. "Mr Bojangles" meets "Strange Fruit"... More thoughts tomorrow. Not even started recording mine yet! :D

I like your singing voice Mr UpF.

And in this song, I particularly liked the melody of the chorus:

I think it's a tough subject to cover in a "post-1950's/60's non-protest song"; let alone with a restriction on format!! As I said, for me it's "Mr Bojangles" meets "Strange Fruit". That's real hard territory to cover and you've met that challenge well!

Fx:D
P.S. Sadly, mine never made it to recording so don't go looking for it! Time disappeared somewhere!

You may listen to it

Not bad, Dave! The music and production are stellar as usual. The lyrics painted a good picture of the message you set out to convey. All in all, an enjoyable piece.

I hope to join you guys again in a future challenge, when time permits.

I'll be out of town this week on business.

Cheers,
Joseph :)

Excellent story - the Bojangles meets Strange fruit description is spot on. the foreshadowing in the 1st stanza, well - reading it prior to listening the foreshadowing sent a chill down my spine.
the clever use of forbidden fruit soon after the foreshadowing is also an excellent turn.
My only issue is the use of was in the line both his name and his skin was brown.
It stuck out for me as you'd held to pretty good grammar despite the temptation to faux colloquialize & then dropped in the plural disagreement.
Excellent song.
I'd love to hear the arrangement with a little banjo highlighting & awaltz solo on the fiddle to echo the dancing in the air line.

Back