Unusual rock song for you

Skysaw

This one is almost done. It's got a nice little retro-trippy guitar solo in the middle. Needs a tweek or two to the drums and vocals. Please let me know what you think!

Thanks!

Cool intro, everything sounds good to me. I like the vocal configuration for this peice. Center up, stereo down and higher in pitch I believe. Decent arrangement.

JAKE

yeah i agree it starts out very cool...........
nice vocals...to me personall i dont care for the.."time to run"..where yer voice goes real low...but ..just imo.....

whoa...it just ............ends............that took me by surprise..
the background layer of sounds..is very cool.and the guitar tone .."what you say"..that part is pretty nice too...... solo is alitle quiet..but it really sorta works that way....cool groove....

thanks

jamal :D

Thanks Jake and Jamal,

The guitar was originally mixed much lower! I wanted it to sort of just add to the texture, not scream "hey! I'm a solo!" :-) -- had to not listen for a day, and come back to it to realise I had overdone that aspect of it. I think it sits about where I want it now.

The guitar tones were all through a Line6 POD. This song was my first little tour of that new toy. I use the Revalver plug-in in cakewalk a lot as well. I don't even own an actual guitar amp or cabinet!

Thanks again.

Welcome skysaw. :)

I like the spooky feel that this has. I'm listening on really crappy speakers so no mix comments. Sounds good from what I can tell though, I'm diggin this little guitar solo and the vocal effect, nice song :D

Very Clean!!

Piano is nice!
Mixed pretty good.
Something about the voice sounds odd, maybe it will come to me

Still listening..............Actually mixed VERY nicely IMHO !
I have crap for speakers, but when something sounds decent where I am sitting it must be mixed well!

Nice Job!
Welcome to the forum!

Joel
:)

Killer groove

Robbie krieger solo or what. Super cool. Really liked it. Nice mix..............I like the reverb, it works well with the vibe. It's kinda retro sounding with the guitar Drier in the mix. Anyhow thats how I hear it with my not so great speakers. Look forward to hearing more of your music.

Thanks for the further replies!

jcmm - Is what's bothering you about the voice the performance or the mix? Do you think you can put your finger on it? Just curious. The vocals are doubled, and I'll probably mix the secondary part just a little bit more back. They have the illusion of being a bit chorused, especially at "certaaaain fall," since the pitch is inexact. I left that as is since I think it has just the right charm.

There are also a few words in the second verse that have the "wrong" echo after them: "Back," "Attack," and "Done." The word is sung, but I mixed in a long reverb from the same words spoken (kind of subtle). Just one of my crazy ideas I had at two in the morning :-)

In general, I'm not a fan of my own voice, and sweat performances way too much. Probably the same for most folks though.

Hi Sky
I think that it may be effects or something
After spinning it again, I am probably just being picky or stupid.
It's your tune, and the singing is unique so forget anything I say.......
If you are happy with the way it is then I'm sold!

Look forward to hearing more from you!

Joel

yeah man I like this...the kick sounds nice. How/what did you do as far as miking that?

Overall I like the tune...kind of reminds me of pink floyd...

second the notion on the "spooky" riff...it's neat man, well done.

That's a synth piano right?

Cool vocals...cool guitar solo...nice work.

I think that it may be effects or something
After spinning it again, I am probably just being picky or stupid.
It's your tune, and the singing is unique so forget anything I say.......
If you are happy with the way it is then I'm sold!

Look forward to hearing more from you!
Nothing wrong with being picky! I'm not 100% sure of the vocals, so I'll listen to any opinions here. More is on the way! I actually have a huge backlog, but I'll trickle 'em in slowly ;)

yeah man I like this...the kick sounds nice. How/what did you do as far as miking that?
The drums are actually a loop, so I can't take credit for that. However, there are two extra kicks that come from an Alesis D4 drum machine, along with the crashes.

That's a synth piano right?
Alesis QS7.1. It's a fairly nice patch, though it doesn't shine much in this song.

Thanks again for the comments!

- Skysaw

Welcome Skysaw!
Cool song,I liked the vibe.
Some nice writing there,good melody.

The only thing I heard was the snare was tinny.
You said it was a loop,so what are you going to do!
I use a drum machine.:eek:

I liked the piano sound in the beggining,you seem to lose it though as the song progresses?
Has a real nice tone to it,I'd keep it up.
JMHOP!:)

Good stuff!

Pete

Back