Unused 4-Tracks?

justinchannell

Hey,

I'm currently wanting to find a 4-track for learning/experimental purposes. Considering the fact that I don't have $100+ to spend on one, I was wondering if anyone had any old 4-track cassette recorders that have been gathering dust (due to whatever reason) that are still in decent working order that they wouldn't mind parting with at a low price. I'm betting this is a lost cause, but it's worth a shot

have you looked at www.ebay.com ?

they have alot of stuff like that. and if you want to buy one new, the best price that you will get it at will be $100 bucks.

hope you find what your looking for.

zeke

Gidge has got the idea.. You have a PC Already, and theres alot more you can do with it than with a 4 track. (Except carry it around with you)

I have a PC and Cool Edit Pro, in fact. My sound card's not very good and I can never get any decent sounding guitars or vocals from it. Plus I kind of like the idea of being able to mix realtime with a 4-track.

However, I did plan on mixing down to a WAV via Cool Edit Pro. I've recorded MP3s from cassettes numerous times and not noticed any problems with audio quality (well, except unavoidable things like tape hiss).

I've tried eBay, but I haven't had good luck winning (except on CDs and DVDs... I can usually pick them up at a good price. I got a Butthole Surfers CD for $.25 and Toxic Avenger on DVD for $7.50)

i would be seriously scared to get a 4 track off ebay......

seriously, even a crappy soundcard can get a better sound than most 4 track cassette recorders.....what mic/preamp were you using to record vocals and how did u record the guitar?....

A crappy mic for vocals and my amp (either a Kustom KLA-10 while it still worked or my new Fender Frontman 25R) for guitar.

Another reason I'd like to have a 4-track is the portability. Then I could take it around to have other musicians add on to the recording if need be.

How many tracks do you want to be able to record simultaneously? If all you want to do is learn/experiment, and you can live with one track at a time, the Tascam MFP01 or the Fostex X12 are both around $100 brand new.

I'm not saying this is a good idea, though, as I would expect you would very quickly outgrow such a recorder.

It might be better to save up your money and get something like a Zoom MRS-4. It retails for between $230 and $250, but I got one on ebay for less than $200. It is a lot more versatile than a cassette recorder.

I have one you can have...

If the original poster is still looking for a 4-track cassette recorder, I have one.

I have a BR-8 now, and haven't used the 4-track in a while, but I really enjoyed it very much when it was what I had.

Back