Unsolicited Material

crunkthanamug

Does anyone happen to have a list of major labels that accept unsolicited material (beats)? Only ones i know of are Ruff Ryders, TVT, and Swisha House... Any additional info would be appreciated.

Ya, the industry has changed. Demo is old. Record companies don't really do development deals anymore. They want you polished,to have fans, manager, your company set up, budget, and hits ready to go. No more half ready and prospects.
And the demos now a days have to be almost album ready sound wise.
You need a music lawyer, manager, or have good ties with an A&R. And even with all that it's hard. Just do what you do! Grind on the streets. Get a buzz. Get tracks played in clubs. Get on the radio. Advertise on web and other outlets. The A&R are bound to see you and hear the buzz.
Get your product in the hand of every opportunity you see. Sooner or later you have to get a connection from someone...

I remember I met this one A&R and he had boxes of demo CD's. He said he doesn't even look at all of them because it would take at lease a year! So, if you send in your demo, just remember you might not hear back from an A&R. Doesn't mean your stuff is weak, just means they haven't heard it...

BeatsBuY said:
Ya, the industry has changed. Demo is old. Record companies don't really do development deals anymore. They want you polished,to have fans, manager, your company set up, budget, and hits ready to go. No more half ready and prospects.
And the demos now a days have to be almost album ready sound wise.
You need a music lawyer, manager, or have good ties with an A&R. And even with all that it's hard. Just do what you do! Grind on the streets. Get a buzz. Get tracks played in clubs. Get on the radio. Advertise on web and other outlets. The A&R are bound to see you and hear the buzz.
Get your product in the hand of every opportunity you see. Sooner or later you have to get a connection from someone...

I remember I met this one A&R and he had boxes of demo CD's. He said he doesn't even look at all of them because it would take at lease a year! So, if you send in your demo, just remember you might not hear back from an A&R. Doesn't mean your stuff is weak, just means they haven't heard it...
This is definitly true. The A&Rs now patrol the radio, the clubs, and mixtapes for talent. Like Beats said they want that finished product...My advice..Get yourself and artist, sign'em and blow'em up (local radio, mixtape, and club) Once you do that the companies will find you, and not just one, all of them. Remember it only takes one hit to get your producer phone to start ringing off the hook.

Back to my question

I do appreciate that info Jug, but you kinda hi-jacked my thread. :) Im still lookin for that list if anyone has it...

my bad. i'll do some searching for you to see if i can at least get you a link to some answers

crunkthanamug said:
I do appreciate that info Jug, but you kinda hi-jacked my thread. :) Im still lookin for that list if anyone has it...
Jug you jacking threads man?
That's ill...................

Trumpspade said:
Jug you jacking threads man?
That's ill...................

Hey that's funny. That's a new one for me.. :p Don't think it was intentional. Still got good info... :D

This has A&Rs and a bunch of other listings as well, like clubs, radio stations, promoters, managers and lawyers. I used to get the book, but now it looks like you can get it online too. Go there and check out a sample page…it’s under Record Labels.

http://www.musiciansatlas.com/

This dude used to have a yearly book, A&R Source Guide, with a list of all the major label and some bigger indie A&R. It gave the name of the A&R, all necessary contact info and whether or not they accept unsolicited.

The last one I have is from 2001, not sure if it’s still in print. Here’s his site though.

http://brooklynboy.com/pages/products.htm

stray411 said:
This has A&Rs and a bunch of other listings as well, like clubs, radio stations, promoters, managers and lawyers. I used to get the book, but now it looks like you can get it online too. Go there and check out a sample page…it’s under Record Labels.

http://www.musiciansatlas.com/

This dude used to have a yearly book, A&R Source Guide, with a list of all the major label and some bigger indie A&R. It gave the name of the A&R, all necessary contact info and whether or not they accept unsolicited.

The last one I have is from 2001, not sure if it’s still in print. Here’s his site though.

http://brooklynboy.com/pages/products.htm

stray you're the man

Back