Unravel the Mystery of the 414...

sponge bob

I am trying to get more info on the AKG 414. It seems that there are quite a few differences in model #'s and I'm not finding out any answers as to what it all means. If anyone could point me in the right dirrection, that would be great.

I am trying to make my last few purchases in LDM's (for now :) ), and was thinking of the 414 as one of my studio's main vocal mics.

Thanks for the help,
Sponge Bob

Thanks Pipelineaudio! Great info!

Does anyone think the current version of the 414 is a worthy main LDCmic for a studio?

Any experience with this mic?

How does it rate again it's same priced competitors?

I am needing 1-2 really nice LDCmics for a new studio, mainly for vocals. I already have the standard lo-dough goodies like the
C-1's, 4033's etc, but I need something that is both client candy because of the name, performs great, but doesn't snag me 2000. a pop either. Suggestions are very very welcome.

Thanks
Sponge Bob

I have a pair of 414's and couldnt live without em ( unless I had a pair of C-12's, which I dont even have acess to anymore :( )

that being said, I cant think of any vocal situation where I'd want the 414 instead of the 4033, except possibly when trying to record a lot of singers at once, gang style

the reason the 414 is so indespensable to me is the variety of polar patterns, the pads, and the rolloffs
its a fully versatile mic.

the 414 is the main component of my accoustic guitar and drum overhead sound.

M/S is a no brainer with a pair of 414's

A few days ago I read about AKG making a set of 2 digitally matched C414's in a special silver edition... man, if I had the dough...(I would buy their whole stock, or at least 1 set :cool: :D )

Herwig

Whether it's a main LD for a studio I doubt, bit it's a great instrument and overhead mic. I have used them quite a bit, and when I can afford it, I'll own a pair. It isn't generally my first choice for vocals, personally...Richie

I did a search on the 414 on rec.audio.pro not too long ago, and there was one great post which very thoroughly went through all the differences in the 414 models. You'll know which one it is when you find it.

Cheers
/Henrik

The 414 is mainly an instrument mic. It is usually used in applications that you would normally use a SDC like guitar and OH's. I've never heard anyone rave over it for vocals.

I am glad that the studio has a 414. When the U87's, 4033's, 4050's, and ADK TC-51's fail on a vocal, that usually means that the 414 is JUST RIGHT .

I find myself using it on male vocalist that don't have very good "air" to their voice. It is a little too shrill for most male vocals, but on Tenors that need a bit more high end hype, it is delicious and wonderful! (I am making myself hungry again!!!)

I like how it sort of turns in to just about any other instrument mic, sort of like Tex was suggesting. If a SM-57 doesn't quite do the job, usually the 414 does! I use it micing snares quite a bit now and find that I can get a much better attack using it, providing that I can solve the hi hat bleed problem....:eek:

Ed

I like the 414 mic. But since I never recorded with another mic in the studio I can't tell you how it compares. I like the results, but it might have been the avalon pre amp that made me like how it sounds. Overall, I'd say it is decent

if your looking for KILLER close mic'ed toms, the 414 with -20dB pad engaged is just the ticket. And if you should happen to have the 414EB, even better!

I have a TL-II and it is one of the most versatile mics I've used. Great on almost everything.

I got mine for about $720 with free 240M headphones... and I've never looked back.

Also tried 'em on mic'd toms.... incredible.

Bowisc

The C414/TLII also KILLS for Bass amps in the studio! Just be careful to pad it and use the windscreen [so you don't blow the capsule out]. Another great use of this type of C414 mic is for live spot recording [especially in rehearsal rooms with high ceilings & concrete floors]. We've used one for picking up the vocals from the PA--our PA's speakers sit angled in facing towards us onstage. In this situation, we set the TLII to its figure eight polar pattern & get a very clear natural sound. We can hear all of the subtle nuances with this microphone.:)

The 414 has got to be the most verstile mic you can have in the studio, but it's never a first choice for vocals.

Bob, what other LDC's do you have already that you're using for vox?

Back