Union Questions

Sonic Valley

Hi there. Didn't know where else to put this thread so I'll plop it right down here.

We produce a syndicated radio show featuring Canadian East Coast Bands (no fiddles or bagpipes) and we have a feature called The Kitchen Jam where bands come right into our home where we produce the show and record a few tunes and do an interview.

Lately the Union here has been up our butt. My question is...They say we must pay every band for their performance. Even non-union bands. I can see it that they are protecting their members but do yhey have the legal right to pursue us on behalf of bands/musicians that aren't in the union? They are assuming responsibility for all bands...whether the band agrees or not. Is this legal?

They CAN'T force you to pay non-union musicians.
I'm not even sure they can make you pay the union musicians if the band AGREES to play just for the "free exposure".
I'd consult a lawyer or someone from the union's international headquarters to get this clarified.

definitely follow up on what Buck said, Sonic Valley.....sounds like maybe there's might be a little illegal type stuff going on...a real union is only concerned with its own members, and other unions.....which is why they despise non-unioners....(don't get me wrong, not all union members are bad)....but I can't imagine why a union would get upset about non members not being paid unless there's some weird canadian rule that says unions can recruit people without their knowledge....gibs

Back