Unidirectional mic help needed

rockabilly1955

what is the best unidirectional mic on a budget of around $100?:D the best mics i have are Audix i5's. I just noticed on the boxes that they arent rated very good at eliminating other background bleed through. Any advice besides buying $1000 mics?! :eek:

.. the best mics i have are Audix i5's. I just noticed on the boxes that they arent rated very good at eliminating other background bleed through...
Some mic are a little tighter than others but where did you get that? If anything, if you are to believe their polar plot they're about the tightest mics on the planet (Who but Audix has pointed cardioid polar patterns :rolleyes:

So are you concerned mostly about isolation? What is the application?

Some mic are a little tighter than others but where did you get that? If anything, if you are to believe their polar plot they're about the tightest mics on the planet (Who but Audix has pointed cardioid polar patterns :rolleyes:

So are you concerned mostly about isolation? What is the application?

it seems to be very sensitive to any sounds. We record live so of course i expect ambient and bleed through noise, but it just seems a bit too much. I got some cheaper Samson drum mics with a super-cardioid pattern and they are alot better at eliminating unwanted sources.

How close/far are you from the sound source? As visions of cheerleader megaphones lined with foam with a mic in the center comes to mind. Or some form of parabolic mic....

Back