Underwater Fantasies Of Magical Mermaids

They are some resonating frequencies throughout, on most instruments. Other than that, it sounds really good. Drums could come up, on the bus, about 0.5db. But EQ those instruments individually and this'll sound really good. Does already.

They are some resonating frequencies throughout, on most instruments. Other than that, it sounds really good. Drums could come up, on the bus, about 0.5db. But EQ those instruments individually and this'll sound really good. Does already.

Thanks!
I guess, the organ, the electric piano (Hohner Pianet) & sometimes the clean electric guitar do have resonating frequencies? Especially the organ i think.
I didn't really do much mix wise yet; just some low cuts, high cuts, reverb & delay. And tape sim & limiter on the master bus. I'm not hip to surgical eq-ing yet. :E I'll have to find out how to fix this

The first instrument that comes in (organ?), can you slow the vibrato on that down at all? It's a little intense for this song, I think.

Good chord changes.

The automation on the organ was a little distracting. Honestly, I'd try to leave it at the starting level - or at least close to that - throughout, rather than having it drop way below the guitars and the swell way up. Maybe fade it a little until it cuts off. When it comes back around 4:15, that's a pretty good level for it.

Andrush is probably right about the drum levels.

Lotta cool sounds going on here.

The first instrument that comes in (organ?), can you slow the vibrato on that down at all? It's a little intense for this song, I think.

Good chord changes.

The automation on the organ was a little distracting. Honestly, I'd try to leave it at the starting level - or at least close to that - throughout, rather than having it drop way below the guitars and the swell way up. Maybe fade it a little until it cuts off. When it comes back around 4:15, that's a pretty good level for it.

Andrush is probably right about the drum levels.

Lotta cool sounds going on here.

Thanks!
The leslie effect on the organ is a plugin, i could change the settings, but the volume changes are recorded this way; i played an old combo organ with a volume pedal.
I will try to remix it tomorrow. Maybe i will beef up the drums a little bit, as for now it's just the raw recorded stereo track (i submixed a few mics on the way in because i don't have enough long cables & limited routing possibilities :E) with a really tiny amount of reverb send, no EQ or effects during mixing.

Nice jam! Very chilled and easy flowing. Mixwise I thought that guitar @ 2.00 poked thru a bit too obtrusively. The kick drum 'solo' at 3.20 could be done with more intent and the envelope cutting off the cymbal tail at that point sounded a but unnatural. I'm guessing you recorded the drums after the guitars? Nice job. very pleasant listen on a Saturday afternoon

Nice jam! Very chilled and easy flowing. Mixwise I thought that guitar @ 2.00 poked thru a bit too obtrusively. The kick drum 'solo' at 3.20 could be done with more intent and the envelope cutting off the cymbal tail at that point sounded a but unnatural. I'm guessing you recorded the drums after the guitars? Nice job. very pleasant listen on a Saturday afternoon

Thank you
The envelope cutting off is a result of some mistake-fixing editing/copying. I recorded an acoustic guitar first, jamming rather randomly; then i played other instruments (drums were first, after the guitar), following the random acoustic jamming; then i deleted the acoustic guitar track (and recorded the acoustic segment again). The song structure is a result of following the random jamming & trying to make sense of it :E

Overall I thought this was pretty good. I thought the bass guitar tone was quite cool. Hollow body?

The clean riff on the left is a bit loud, and has nothing to balance it on the right. The tone on that riff is quite nice.

To me the kick had too much low end. A bit woofy, which I liked. Just too much of a low end boost.

Synth tones were all nice.

Overall I thought this was pretty good. I thought the bass guitar tone was quite cool. Hollow body?

The clean riff on the left is a bit loud, and has nothing to balance it on the right. The tone on that riff is quite nice.

To me the kick had too much low end. A bit woofy, which I liked. Just too much of a low end boost.

Synth tones were all nice.

Thanks
I always struggle to get a good bass drum sound; the bass drum is just a 16"x16" floor tom, it's way too boomy. 16"x10" would be better i guess. The tom/bass-drum has a full remo ambassador coated reso head (without a hole); i miked it with a vintage Beyer m88.
The bass guitar is a cheap jazz bass knock-off with flatwounds, played with a pick, recorded d.i., no eq, just a bit of compression.

Last edited:
Back