Understanding the keyboard?

rockabilly1955

Hey guys. I really don't do any midi stuff but I just got the fl studio program so I can do some solo stuff for practice. I am really liking it too. My question is what exactly are the c0-c9 ? I believe its octaves but not too sure. What is the typical starting point? In other words, what C on the midi keyboard is equal to the first C on the A string of a bass? Thanks

Thanks a lot scientist. That will help me a lot. So basically c4 would be like the first position for any chord? I do notice that it defaults to c5.

What you asked about was the third fret C note on the A string of a bass guitar, and that note is C4 in FL.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'the first position in any chord'.

If you are writing basslines, E3 is the open E and A3 is the open A. If you are writing guitar lines the open E string is E4, the open A is A4, the open D is D5 and so on...

Really? Middle C should be C4. The C on a bass is C2. The open E string is E1 on a bass, E2 on a guitar. Guitar and bass lines are written in notation an octave higher than they sound. Thus middle C is the C on the first fret of the B string on a guitar.

Anyway, check the MIDI note number in the program, middle C is 60

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/notes.html

Thanks for the tips. Pretty confusing stuff but I think I am gettin the hang of it. I am working on a quick little instrumental that I will let you guys hear if you want. Will be all midi except for guitar.

Really? Middle C should be C4. The C on a bass is C2. The open E string is E1 on a bass, E2 on a guitar. Guitar and bass lines are written in notation an octave higher than they sound. Thus middle C is the C on the first fret of the B string on a guitar.

Anyway, check the MIDI note number in the program, middle C is 60

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/notes.html

In FL they don't use C-1 and C-2, but rather make C0 the bottom note. That explains the 2 octave difference in our answers. In the real world mshilarious is right --- in the FL world, use my answer instead.

Back