Underrated: J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr.)

That solo in "Feel the Pain" is so awesome. It's leads like that that you will never forget. I got the new remasters of the Dino Jr, and I'm loving them.

TravisinFlorida said:
One of the noisiest but coolest sounding guitar players ever.

Screw you all. All of your guitar players are belong to me.

Yep, big fan of J. Mascis with Dino Jr. and the Fog
It sucks that some a-holes stole their gear in nyc

There's a band I haven't heard in awhile. I need to dig out some Dino Jr. tunes -- you got me pumped to listen to them again!

Codmate said:
I don't want to rain on anybody's parade - but that just sounds terrible to me. They're out of tune, out of time and... well... um... just poor...

I mean - is it *meant* to sound like a horrible mess?

IMO of course...

yes it is. beautiful ain't it? :D

seriously, dinosaur jr. gives me chills down my spine. in all fairness, they're not out of time.

TravisinFlorida said:
yes it is. beautiful ain't it? :D

seriously, dinosaur jr. gives me chills down my spine.

I don't get how you can like it I'm afraid.

Surely there are enough fourteen-year-olds unintentionally making a terrible racket like that in the world already?

I guess I just don't 'understand'...

I mean - it's not like I don't listen to odd music.
I like a-tonal stuff.
I listen to some of the more way-out Coltrane, John Cage, Harry Partch, etc etc...

This just sounds lazy to me.
Can they actually play properly - or is the gimmick that they can't?
What exactly does it 'say' to you? What's enjoyable about it?

I'm genuinly interested, as this is one band I just never got at all!

BTW - they are *very* out of time!
Listen to the drummer and the bass-player! They are in no way 'locked in' at all. TBH it would take some bass player to lock in with what they are tring to pass off as a drummer!

Codmate said:
I don't get how you can like it I'm afraid.

Surely there are enough fourteen-year-olds unintentionally making a terrible racket like that in the world already?

I guess I just don't 'understand'...

I mean - it's not like I don't listen to odd music.
I like a-tonal stuff.
I listen to some of the more way-out Coltrane, John Cage, Harry Partch, etc etc...

This just sounds lazy to me.
Can they actually play properly - or is the gimmick that they can't?
What exactly does it 'say' to you? What's enjoyable about it?

I'm genuinly interested, as this is one band I just never got at all!

no gimmick needed. it's just raw emotion to my ears. i know where you're coming from though. the first time i heard them, i did'nt like them either. a guy told me that my guitar playing sounded like dinosaur jr. i responded with "dinosaur who?". i gave them a listen and thought it was the noisiest most fucked up thing i had ever heard. i was surfing the net one day and came across one of their songs and decided to give them another listen. BAMM! like a ton of fucking neon bricks.

maybe it had something to do with experimenting with drugs too. :D

either way, i feel both warm and fuzzy and like busting thru a whole when i hear J go off on guitar. i put him right up there with hendrix.

TravisinFlorida said:
no gimmick needed. it's just raw emotion to my ears. i know where you're coming from though. the first time i heard them, i did'nt like them either. a guy told me that my guitar playing sounded like dinosaur jr. i responded with "dinosaur who?". i gave them a listen and thought it was the noisiest most fucked up thing i had ever heard. i was surfing the net one day and came across one of their songs and decided to give them another listen. BAMM! like a ton of fucking neon bricks.

maybe it had something to do with experimenting with drugs too. :D

either way, i feel both warm and fuzzy and like busting thru a whole when i hear J go off on guitar. i put him right up there with hendrix.

yeah the dino jr. shows have a rep of being a little loud, which might not be exactly the best way to hear them for the first time :)
"without a sound" is an awesome album and very well recorded* and so is the j.mascis and the fog album "more light"

*edit: though not in the typical slick kind of way :)

codmate have you not heard dino jr and are you stating all that on just one live song or what, are you mad, i didnt listen to the link but i know from previous work how brilliant this band is and especially J. M. get on to lime wire and download a few songs :start choppin; turnip farm; forget it, to name a few,
im sure you will be impressed

scrubs said:
I love it, although the tempo does change about 50 times during that performance. I don't recall if the album version was that variable. Murph was never a very good drummer, though. Better than me, but that's not saying much. :cool:

My sense of timing must be crap then. I did'nt even notice. :D

I posted that video because I think it's a good display of J's guitar playing.

kojdogg said:
yeah the dino jr. shows have a rep of being a little loud, which might not be exactly the best way to hear them for the first time :)
"without a sound" is an awesome album and very well recorded* and so is the j.mascis and the fog album "more light"

*edit: though not in the typical slick kind of way :)

actually koj, i really wish i heard heard them live for the first time. i've never seen them live but would love too.

but his singing/voice

is the worst ever

just my humble opinion

sounds even worse than me

(and that's bad)

raven46 said:
codmate have you not heard dino jr and are you stating all that on just one live song or what, are you mad, i didnt listen to the link but i know from previous work how brilliant this band is and especially J. M. get on to lime wire and download a few songs :start choppin; turnip farm; forget it, to name a few,
im sure you will be impressed

I've heard them before - but not on record, just appearing live on various music shows, and I've always had the same reaction.

Completly mystified!

Ah well - maybe I'll seek out some recorded stuff and check it out. It just bothers me when I find music I don't understand, but others' rave about. This band bother me especially, as I think I have pretty varied taste and a liking for the unusual, atonal and screwed-up; yet this just leaves me cold.

Maybe I'm getting old :o

Soon I'll be saying things like "It's all just noise to me you know!" ;)

cannabis said:
but his singing/voice

is the worst ever

just my humble opinion

sounds even worse than me

(and that's bad)

some say that same thing about hendrix, bob dylan, and neil young. looking at the whole musical picture, it is'nt an issue to me.

I am ambivalent about D Jr. Too many songs where the guitars sound like the $150 solid state amp i got with my first guitar that just had "clean", "blues", and "metal" buttons on it.

Daav

YES! Totally underrated.

A hugely underrated band who are admitted diciples of Dinosaur that I must recommend...

SWERVEDRIVER

One of my favorite bands in the world. Amazing guitars.

Back