Uncentered Mid Side

guinsu

I was trying to record acoustic guitar in mid side today using two AKG 414s. When I went to listen back to the recording it seemed like one speaker was louder. I double checked all the mic settings, the right mic was in figure 8, I switched out cables and checked through headphones. Even after repositioning the mics I still had this problem. I've recorded this way a few times in the past and it was always perfectly centered when I was done. I was using all the same gear as the previous times except I used a Great River preamp instead of a Sytek. Even looking at the level meters in Cubase I can see that one side is a bit louder, its mostly the midrange that is pushing the level up. Does anyone have any idea what I could have been doing wrong this time that I wasn't before?

have you considered that maybe the guitar is louder on one side than the other?

it's stereo micing, after all...

I did think of that, which is why I wish I could remember exactly how I mic'd it up last time. I was trying to make the 2 speakers sound balanced but have a spread out quality. Last time I got it. Any recommended ways to position the mics on an acoustic?

Back