Unbalanced out to unbalanced in; Balanced cable..ok?

DeeCeeMonterey

Spent money on really good Mogami 1/4" trs to 1/4" trs Balanced cables.

Realized that my direct outs on mixing console (Soundcraft Studio 24.8) are unbalanced (ground compensated) However, I CAN select unbalanced on the multitrack recorder. (Fostex d2424lv)

The group outs on the mixing console (the eight busses) are all unbalanced, ground compensated also, but they create a hum so I decided to go with the direct outs on each channel.

q: If I use my Mogami 1/4" trs to 1/4" trs cables, will the signal be proper unbalanced to unbalanced?

Or perhaps, would I need to 'partialy' insert the 1/4" jacks? Thanks, Dan

I've got that unit. I'm not completely sure what the software switch for bal /unbal actually does. I suspect, though, that all it actually does is change the gain of the input circuit or the sensitivity of the ADC or something. This matters because if the input circuit is not actually somehow switched to ignore the R connector, then you will have that wire hanging out there acting like an antenna pumping a bunch of extra noise in there.

So you'll have to test it. Stick one of those cables into one of the recorder's inputs. Connect the uoutput from that channel to something that you can hear it through. Arm that channel and push the record button so you can hear what's coming through. Now carefully touch your finger to the ring on the free end of the cable going to the input. By "carefully" I mean make sure you don't also touch either of the other contacts. You could use something conductive like a paper clip or a short piece of wire or a small screwdriver, but you need to be touching that conductor also - not just the plastic handle. Does it make more noise when you touch the ring?

My guess is that it will. Either way, really, I'm afraid you've wasted some money on balanced cable when unbalanced would have been fine. Unless you have - or expect to soon have - some other use for those cables you should probably just return them, get the right ones, and collect the difference or spend it on something else. You could modify the cables a couple of ways to make them work better in this situation, but why?

Edit - having the plug inserted halfway is not a good solution. Even if it does help, it's pretty half-assed and unreliable. Get the right cables.

Back