Ultra Touch Insulation Instalation

Tonio

Recently have been working on the studio. This past week.
I allready had 2 bass traps (Ethan Winer style resonators)on the front wall and 2 mid traps and 2 high splitting the rest of the front wall. Also had 2 clouds and a make shift broadband absorber in the rear corners. Also a slat resonator on the rear wall. The ceiling was just pink stuff into the rafters and "acoustic tiles ".
Well I bought a bundle of Ultra touch R13 24" to replace the ceiling crap. Covered it with fabric. Also had some OC 703- 2" that I made complete broadband aborbers for the rear corners and also some wall ceiling corners. Got this all done about thursday (I think) its hard to remember , since I'm still cleaning up froma all the crap that came from the ceiling.
Had a few brews to celebrate and do a few studio organization things.
Today I cranked up the gear and took a few takes. I m still kinda sore, so playing drums was somewhatt laborious, if not almost alienated :eek:

Nonetheless, I am getting used to the sound in here, so I can't quite discern what the heck is going on as far a srecording goes. but listening to mixes etc makes a big difference.
I'll be back (insert Arnies terminator voice) will more laters.

T

Tonio,
Man! I feel your pain!
I am still framing and wiring up my place so It will be a while before I get to actually "play" in my studio.

But you have my curiosity up about the Ultra touch.
I was wanting to look into that myself. There is a local distributor about 30 miles away and I was thinking of trying some for absorbers.
What are your impressions of working with it compared to compressed fibreglass.
How dense is it compared to regular insulation?
Sorry to be so nosey.

Tom

No problem Tom.
It was hard work, but not a hugh project. PLus it was good excersize for a change, but I was sore for a couple days :D Working on the ceiling is a biatch

As far as Ultra Touch goes- their specs are similar to OC703 from what I remember. The sales dude I spoke to sad if used in a single wall the STC / nrc or whatever is @ 50? or so. regular fluffy is only >10? Any way, its exactly what they say it is.
Cotton mostly threads of denim(jeans). It is denser than fluffy R13 for sure, and alot heavier(weight). I would go to the R19 if possible. I just cheaped it out due to my 24" spread. 1 bundle was $104 for 129 sq ft.94" sheets. Not bad, about the same price of OC703 2" in my area.
Now the difference of use, you still should use a face mask(filter). Maybe installing for the ceiling is more so than a wall, but the stuff does shed. I had cotton up my nose it was getting hard to breath. Its very soft material so very limp, and I had to use furing strips/staples to keep it up in the rafters.
For a wall install seems easy enough as long as there is some friction fit. I might even say, it could sag however. Its really limp.
For broadband absorbers? I'm not sure I would go that direction. I think OC703 would be just easier to work with plus its thinner.Or even rock wool. It could work for filling the coners one on top of the other-what was that named? studiotips forums says that is the best for corners.
YMMV.
T

Thanks for the tips.
I had consdered using it forabsorber panels but was kinda concerned about how limp they looked. Maybe the rigid isthe way for me. I have about 40 panels to make!

Thanks again.

Tom

Back