Ulcerate - Dark Alternative/Electronica

Hey, this stuff is cool! Very what... Stabbing Westward? Cool Drum samples. That break in Moisture threw me for a loop.

Kap

thanks for the swift response. Now you mention it, I can hear a little Stabbing Westward amidst the tunes. Hadn't thought of that before. Will add them to my "Similar Artists" section.

Thanks

Simon

It was indeed a cool break in Moisture.....mix was cool too, liked the panning very very much on the tremolo sounds...gibs

Listened to Moisture. I didn't think I was going to like the vocs at first. Now I think it's just that the first two verses weren't as good as you can do. You sang the last verse better than the first two, and the "moisture" parts were cool. Other than that, the vocs seemed somewhat "thin" to me for the genre. You might try a 3dB cut between 1k and 2k, Q somewhere around 2.5 to 5... it doesn't need to be too tight a band. Experiment a little there.

On the rest of the mix, I liked the feel quite a bit. I totally agree with Gibs on the tremelo sounds: tasteful interplay. The ride may be a tad high, but the bottom was the biggest thing. I wanted more stuff happening in the low end in general. There are a lot of spots where a big punchy kick would have really made the groove more powerful, I thought. The kick sound you have is cool, but it may be too soft a sound for this song. It might just be an EQ thing, too. Ditto on the bass. I like the idea, I just think it can be presented more "powerfully" for lack of a better word.

geez, just what I was looking for :)

Thanks for the constructive input. Will take your advice and do some tweaking and possibly recut the first two verses' vox. Nice to have a forum for this kinda thing too.

If anyone has the time to check out the other two tracks + the remix at http://mp3.com/ulcerate and offer the same sort of advice, I'd donate the first child I sire :)

Thanks again.

Simon

Back