Uke Song #1

I think I might burn this to a cd and listen to it on my drive home from work every day. Traffic makes me want to hurt people. This tune makes me want to do good things for everyone I meet. Nice playing, nice recording.

Haha, cheers Paulman. I'm actually quite enjoying playing the ukulele. It's just so simple. Quite therapeutic actually.

Last edited:
It sounds very nice. The uke sound on each part is great. Clear, but not harsh.

The simple drums part is just right for a lite song like this.

The melody/harmony parts get off from each other around :34 - :40 or so.

Not much else wrong. It was very nice.

Cheers TM. I was quickly writing this as I was going, I'm sure there are a few off bits.

What brand of uke is it? Recording technique? Sounds excellent.

The kick seems a little loud to me

They are relatively cheap Brunswick Ukes. A friend of mine got me a treble uke as a present and left their baritone at my place. So, from memory, that track is treble rhythm track on the left and baritone rhythm on the right, panned pretty wide. Then I have the lead baritone on the left and the lead treble on the right, panned a little narrower. I'm just sitting there with a Focusrite condenser about 20cm off the fretboard. I'm not even using tracking headphones, I have my open back ones on so you can hear my click track at the end and hear me clicking stop with the mouse on each track.

These Ukes:
Ukulele - Brunswick Guitars & Ukuleles | Established in London in 1995

Last edited:
Annoying, I spend countless hours writing and recording hard rock and punk (which I love) and can't quite nail it. I spend a grand total of about 90 minutes learning to play what's basically a toy instrument, writing, recording and mixing a track and everyone thinks I've made a good job of it!

Annoying, I spend countless hours writing and recording hard rock and punk (which I love) and can't quite nail it. I spend a grand total of about 90 minutes learning to play what's basically a toy instrument, writing, recording and mixing a track and everyone thinks I've made a good job of it!

haha.

part of that is we have more of a reference for punk. we don't have much reference for ukulele music or its recording. plus it objectively sounds good and balanced.

the other part is that a lot of time quick takes without a lot of labor behind them shine because of the rawness/closer to the moment of inspiration.

Last edited:

Ha, now you know how Alec Guinness felt when everyone kept asking him about Star Wars ;)

For what it's worth I think you have made a good job of it. Simple melodies that work well and a good capture on those ukes. Don't know that there's much to add other than that, it's just a nice piece.

Cheers rob. The Alec G reference made me laugh... I'd always though he was being an ungrateful bastard!

:laughings:
Maybe you've found your niche! :D

Sounds really nice overall! I like the simplicity of the arrangement. The bass provides a nice, solid underpinning to the whole thing. I wasn't crazy about the sound of the drums as something more organic would've suited me better on this, but they're not bad, and not really featured prominently (nor should they be) so it works ok.

The melody around :35-:40 (which repeats a couple of times after?) seemed kinda sour to me? Maybe there are just some challenging intervals in there, but it almost didn't sound intentional, especially after hearing the rest of the track where the melodies are much more accessible and pleasing in a traditional sense at least.

Overall though, it does sound good, and it was very cool to hear this from you following all of the hard rock and whatnot.

Back