UK R8 and board Voltage Concerns.

ReelFostex!

hello...yes I am a newbe...please forgive me...but I have a chance to pick up a British fostex r8 and 812. They are 220...Is the 110-115 converter going to outway the cost of the machine...and board or is it worth dealing with?. Thank you.

Just to be clear, you're buying a 220V 50hz tape deck / mixer and want to use it in a 110V 60 country? Where are you located? All you need to get is a step up / down voltage converter, one which gives you a good 3x the total watts of your tape deck / mixer. For instance, if the tape deck is 100watts and the mixer is another 100watts (I'm guessing 'cause I don't know) then the total watts is 200watts. You need to get a converter which is, ideally, 600watts (or less depending on actual watts of your gear). This gives a good buffer zone and doesn't overwhelm the converter. I think your Fostex is all DC so it doesn't regulate its speed from the AC outlet but I could be wrong, meaning that it really doesn't care about the 50 vs 60 hz.

A couple of hints: check the WATTS on each piece of gear and also if it's SWITCHABLE (some provide voltage switch).

But the question is.. Why are you buying 220 gear in the first place?

Yes thank you..

Thank you...I read most all your techical help entries and am learning a lot from you efforts. I am in california. the machine is new in box in UK (the board is not new). I just downloaded an R8 manual from the fostex site and am reading thru it...converting to me is worth it if the machine is new...I have a model 80 and E-8 and I really love the units...I realize they cannot be replaced...and an R8 that is in this shape is tempting..even if it cost a lot to ship and convert. Thank you sir for all your help.

You're welcome.

Ah, California.... :) They say tape machines grow on trees there! :D

Seriously and I'm not trying to dissuade you but unless you're a hard-core Fostex collector or something, with money to spare, I'd look for something else, closer to your area, be it a Fostex, Tascam or whatever... Some nice ones in California, plenty to choose from.

Those Fostex machines are nothing special really, pretty cheaply made and to buy one from overseas, go through the hassle and expense of shipping and then getting a converter is, IMHO, not a smart plan, unless, again, you're a collector or have a special thing for new in box units. ;)

Don't flame me.:eek::D

Yeah you're right.

I was taken in by the newness...and got tempted...such a cute little thing too, couldn't help myself to lust over something that really makes little sense. I will be satisfied with the ones I have and move into Tascam next, something like a 22-4...solid heavy and fixable...thanks for saving me from buyers fever....now if we could just have more cowbell...(c. walkins)...snl.

hello...yes I am a newbe...please forgive me...but I have a chance to pick up a British fostex r8 and 812. They are 220...Is the 110-115 converter going to outway the cost of the machine...and board or is it worth dealing with?. Thank you.

I don't have a manual but you should be able to convert it inside, it is likely going to have a universal transformer and just a change of connecitonon at the transformer and an adapter plug are what you need. That said shipping is probably way too expensivce

That said shipping is probably way too expensivce

It'll probably cost more than a regular R8 does on ebay.

Also, if it's new-in-box that isn't a guarantee that it'll actually work. There was a guy on this board, I think, who bought a new, unopened TEAC machine only to find that the box had got wet during the years. It was not pretty. Assuming that hasn't happened, chances are you'll need to replace the belt, pinch roller and probably recap the whole machine (electrolytics live longer if they're used).

If it's this one:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FOSTEX-R8-8-T..._Consumer_VintageAudio_RL?hash=item4ced71008f

...he's been feeding it Ampex tape, which may not be a good thing. There's no picture of the head or guides either.

FYI I have a Yamaha TX802 I bought from a guy in California that was designed for 220 and it works just fine with a step up transformer which was about US$12. Surface shipping might be an option, if you don't mind waiting a *looooong* time, but even then, likely more than you pay for the machine itself.

because they are buying in quantities it's often cheaper for the manufacturer to use one that jumpers to both voltages than to spec 2 different trannies... so dont be surprised if thats what ya find... the question then becomes would you be able to discern or know a tech to take care of it for you...

thanks so much

I am a little concerned from the the formal education of dementedchord :) what year did you graduate?...thank you all for the support...I am not alone...which is soooo cool to me, in all this.

graduate??? from which??? elementry?? high school?? ba music theory?? electronic tech certification?? dont like ellipsis??? bite me kid............................................................................................................................................................................................................................:rolleyes:

Back