Uh, Modern Post-Rock?

mysticjim

Right, latest studio client, and as the post title states, thats what they refer to their musical style as, apparently. Definately not Emo then?!!!

Anyway, this is the latest mix I've done, got 3 more of theirs to work on.

I'm reasonably happy so far, but alas, as always seems to be the way, naff drumkit - very dead toms, angled at almost 90 degrees facing the drummer, plus hihat stupidly close to snare and nasty, trashy cymbals. Essentially, I need to try and somehow improve the snare, but after heavily gating out the hihat bleed, I've not been left with much snare to play with! I might suppliment the kick with samples, but really hate doing that for other elements of the kit.

So, any thoughts, opinions on what I can do to make it a bit better?

Jim

Hm... sorry I can't help you on the sound issue except for referring to what I define as post rock. Try 'Isis' on myspace. Write sgnl05 after the websitename. Also 'Capricorns' (UK) with a more classic grinding hard rock feel. Write capricornsoflondon after the websitename.

(My first post so I'm not allowed to post URLs... sigh)

Might help you out some.

But... I feel the band you're recording sound more Emo than anything else, but don't tell them. :-)

Hm... sorry I can't help you on the sound issue except for referring to what I define as post rock. Try 'Isis' on myspace. Write sgnl05 after the websitename. Also 'Capricorns' (UK) with a more classic grinding hard rock feel. Write capricornsoflondon after the websitename.

(My first post so I'm not allowed to post URLs... sigh)

Might help you out some.

But... I feel the band you're recording sound more Emo than anything else, but don't tell them. :-)

No, you're right, they're about as emo as it gets! I've never really understood the term post-rock, I mean - I can understand post-punk, being punk influenced rock that happened after the initial punk period of the late 70's/early 80's, but post-rock is just totally ambiguous!

Well thanks for your feedback, other opinions welcome.

Jim

Back