Ughhh professionals are so good.

DAS19

So yesterday I got to mix a pre-recorded track that was bought mixing practice purposes. The song was recorded so amazing and the song was arranged and produced perfectly that the song basically mixed it self. I threw up the faders to the right levels and it was basically done. No eq or compression was needed (Im sure it could have benefited though). After hearing how good the instruments sounded raw it made me think over my new found revelation that mixing was everything. Mixing is easy when you track good but if you track bad you can also fix it when mixing IF you know what your doing.

I guess all with in good time I will be able to track and mix well.

It's the performer's job to make the tracking engineer's job easy.
It's the tracking engineer's job to make the mixing engineer's job easy.
It's the mixing engineer's job to make the masteing engineer's job easy.
It's the mastering engineer's job to make the listener's job easy.

:)

G.

:cool:And, the toughest job is to make the "client" happy. [Especially the person who pays.]

If you work with female vocalists much, you'll know what I mean right away.

Any Spring in the air in the Windy Glen? Funny, when it's cold, there are almost no stories of "global warming" on the news.

Cheers,
Green Hornet:D

My favorite story about "global warming" is the two scientists that decided to make a trek to the north pole to demonstrate the ravages of global warming. They had to cancel the trip due to extreme cold.

Good musician+good instrument+good performance+good acoustics+good mike+good placement=good sound

News of the day:

The Science Channel ran Tom Brokaw's piece on Global Warming last night.

There was widespread flooding yesterday in Chicagoland as a result of heavy rain and snow melting.

Good tracks make easy mixes.

:)

I forgot about that tune. That is great! I haven't heard it since I was a kid and never paid attention to the lyrics until now. Coolness.

:cool:And, the toughest job is to make the "client" happy. [Especially the person who pays.]

If you work with female vocalists much, you'll know what I mean right away.
Tell me about it. Ask them to sing from the diaphragm and they just slap you in the face! :rolleyes:
Any Spring in the air in the Windy Glen?
Yeah, if you wanna call getting the regular seasonal bill for house taxes a sign of spring, then it's busting out all over :(. That and actually watching the water gusher out of the sewer grates instead of raining into them, like some meteorogical Bizarro world.

You haven't been getting too hammered with lake effect over there I hope.

G.

P.S. Harvey, thanks for letting some of us know that we're not the only one left in this world that actually still like that tune. :)

I threw up the faders to the right levels and it was basically done. No eq or compression was needed (Im sure it could have benefited though).

That's because it was mixed while it was recorded.

What I mean is, it was recorded with EQ and probably a bit of dynamics already on the tracks. I've started doing this lately and the difference it makes when it comes to mixing is unreal. Provided you know what sound you're going for before you hit the red button, then the mixing stage should be much easier. THis is where decent preproduction work really comes in to play...as someone once posted somewhere on the interweb:

the most important part in recording a song is everything that happens before you press record.

:cool:Yo Glen:

ALL DAY today was ugly. Snow, wind, vortices spinning snow and all of this was very conducive to my PM Martini period. But, Spring will get here soon; we already have the robins and they are freezing off their butts.

Taxes? Yea, verily. Michigan has them too. But, because we are based on sandy soil, water usually goes where it is supposed to go: DOWN THE TUBE.

All these good comments about mixing just go to illustrate that it is in the ear of the mixer; some have good ears and, then, there are others.

Not too long ago I added some stage reverb to a DAT recording tape that was as flat as a three day old glass of beer. The gal who paid, did the vocals, is a professional. Her bass player for that session is one of the best alive today living in G. Rapids. He gave her a copy of the the session I enhanced and she loved it. I'm just lucky I hit the right buttons. But, I learn so much on this site and the AW1600 site, it's like free college.

Hey, happy spring to ALL.

Green Hornet:cool:

That's because it was mixed while it was recorded.

What I mean is, it was recorded with EQ and probably a bit of dynamics already on the tracks. I've started doing this lately and the difference it makes when it comes to mixing is unreal. Provided you know what sound you're going for before you hit the red button, then the mixing stage should be much easier. THis is where decent preproduction work really comes in to play...as someone once posted somewhere on the interweb:

the most important part in recording a song is everything that happens before you press record.
I've been preaching that a lot lately. Maybe one day I'll actually start practicing what I preach!:o

Pretty Cool

i like daydream, it`s a really simple, good song

explanation+song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YE61Db8zuk&feature=related

nord

They are actually playing the song not a lip sync. I wouldn't say never but not often done in those old 60's shows. Notice the cool Guild electric the other guitar player has? Don't see those often. Great story of how the song was written. John always had a great personality and was one of the funniest charismatic people to those who knew.

i like the way at about 2.45 seconds through theres some problem with the guys guitar!!
nord

ps better than lipsyncing though

Tell me about it. Ask them to sing from the diaphragm and they just slap you in the face! :rolleyes:Yeah, if you wanna call getting the regular seasonal bill for house taxes a sign of spring, then it's busting out all over :(. That and actually watching the water gusher out of the sewer grates instead of raining into them, like some meteorogical Bizarro world.

You haven't been getting too hammered with lake effect over there I hope.

G.

P.S. Harvey, thanks for letting some of us know that we're not the only one left in this world that actually still like that tune. :)

Demonstrate to them where to sing from the diaphragm and you get a kick in the balls AND a slap in the face. har har har

Back