Ub1222fx Effects, Foo!

HyperAXISZ2

I'm looking for a good mixer with built in effects, and I stumbled upon this one... Behringer UB1222FX... It's about $180, whereas you can get a cheaper version without the effects for about $100. My question - if anyone's ever played around with this mixer, are the effects any good, or is there a high level of noise and it's not worth it?

Feedback, my friends, feedback... :)

The effects are useless for recording, and only minimally useful for live/club gigs. The problem is that they are extremely noisy (you will get an extremely irritating hiss at any kind of level of "wetness").

However, they are pretty useful in some situations - I like adding a lot of reverb to the mix that goes out to the vocalist's headphones while recording, but I record only the dry signal. The reverb helps the singer pitch correctly, and raises the level of "excitement" the singer feels while singing.

However, for any other kind of situation, you'd be better off buying the non-FX version, or buying an FX mixer of higher quality, such as a Mackie Onyx or a Yamaha MG, albeit at a considerably higher price.

I had a UB2222FX (actually I still have it, it just doesn't work anymore :( ) Anyway, the effects are pretty noisy and there's hardly any tweakablity. You pretty much have to use them as is, and the effects themselves are terrible. I would get the non effect version and put the 80 bucks towards dedicated effects hardware. Or better yet, look at the Yamaha MG series, they're almost the same price, but much better boards than Behri, and the FX's might even be better on those.

Qq

I can't jump on the "Bash Behringer Bandwagon" but I won't say the effects on this particular board are great either. I use this board quite often and I find the effects highly situational, the "tweakability" is limited but I like some of the options. I can't agree with either of the above, as any use of the onboard effects has been fairly decent, and I do NOT experience this "hiss" that others speak of, it works for what I use it for and I'm happy with it. I don't use the onboard effects as my primary source of effects. If you don't expect too much, I'd say give it a shot, and if you don't like it, send it back. Though I'd highly advise going with an outboard set of effects if you plan on using a fair ammount and expect a decent sound. As far as the rest of the board goes, the preamps leave a bit to be desired but overall functionality and ease of use is pretty good. I paid 179.99 for mine, and I got 179.99 worth of product, perhaps a bit more :D

Creamyapples1 said:
I can't jump on the "Bash Behringer Bandwagon" but I won't say the effects on this particular board are great either. I use this board quite often and I find the effects highly situational, the "tweakability" is limited but I like some of the options.

Oh, I am not bashing Behringer, in fact on this forum I am known to be a "Behringer Apologist" - I quite like them for their value for money :).

The mixers are pretty decent - it is just that the effects *are* really noisy when turned up. I would recommend buying the non-FX version, and using effects from your PC, or outboard hardware effects.

BTW - Behringer refuses to document the effects in any way, which gets in the way (and I have asked them several times - their reply is that they do not supply information about the effects. Period). However, what is not immediately obvious is that each effect actually has various presets, with varying parameters. For example, the "delay" is shown against a particular setting number, but what isn't documented is that the three settings immediately following that setting are the same effect with faster, or deeper delay levels. You basically choose the one most suitable for your situation.

It would have really helped had they documented the parameters of each effect. Since it is digital, it would have been extremely easy to do that, but for some reason Behringer seems to feel that this would cause conflict with their "pro" level equipment.

Bandwagon is a little harsh, especially considering if you searched my posts from a year and a half ago, I was the first to defend Behringer. In fact, I still do, at least I advocate treating each product they offer individually because they do make some very good bang for buck products (ADA8000, HA4700, B3031A, MDX1400 for example that I own or owned and have been satisfied with). I simply can not recommend the mixing boards because of numerous problems I have had with them, and even when they worked, the effects were subpar. Frankly there are much better mixers for not much more money. Maybe my standards of acceptable noise is different from yours, but anything above "barely noticable" I consider "noisy" in a critical application as multitrack recording, when numerous tracks filled with "barely audible" noise quickly add to a very annoying hiss. So if I'm bashing, it's based on personal experience, not popular opinion. I hope your board gives you many years of trouble free performance, and suit your needs well into the future, but please don't trivialize people that have legitimate gripes with behringer.

sensativity ftw!

I hardly consider two members of a forum a "bandwagon" I wasn't singling either of you out. Merely stating that I wasn't participating with what seems to be the concensus(but that's a completely different can of worms). The only time I even mentioned either of you was when I said that I didn't share your views on the effects and hiss. I appologize if it came across wrong, but "flaming" you, truely was not the intent. Please don't trivialize people that have legitimate praises of Behringer products.

Creamyapples1 said:
I hardly consider two members of a forum a "bandwagon" I wasn't singling either of you out. Merely stating that I wasn't participating with what seems to be the concensus(but that's a completely different can of worms). The only time I even mentioned either of you was when I said that I didn't share your views on the effects and hiss. I appologize if it came across wrong, but "flaming" you, truely was not the intent. Please don't trivialize people that have legitimate praises of Behringer products.

Fine, I guess I misinterpreted you.

Back