U2 Gives Away New Album NOW, No Money in CD Sales

That might be a tad hyperbole. I have a Niece and Nephew, one is a teenager, she doesnt even know what vinyl is. When they do buy them they buy them for pennies on the dollar. I think people who buy vinyl are mostly collectors and somebody looking to be different, not the norm.

But music is currently free to most people.

Some are more into vinyl than others, but the ones into it are really into it and they buy a lot. They're buying turntables as well. The last time I was at the local flea market I saw a guy buying a dozen or so LPs, and a girl buying Elvis and James Dean posters. There's always a fresh selection of turntables, receivers and speakers. Sure, some of them are $1 albums, but some are $5 or more. There's definitely a strong underground trend going on.

Some are more into vinyl than others, but the ones into it are really into it and they buy a lot. They're buying turntables as well. The last time I was at the local flea market I saw a guy buying a dozen or so LPs, and a girl buying Elvis and James Dean posters. There's always a fresh selection of turntables, receivers and speakers. Sure, some of them are $1 albums, but some are $5 or more. There's definitely a strong underground trend going on.

It's gaining some steam, too. The major CD duplication houses are starting to buy back old record pressing machines and offer that for the first time in decades. People are less willing to buy CDs, but they still love buying vinyl, because an MP3 doesn't have the same sound as vinyl. There is also a resurgence of music being released on tape, which is kind of cool. The "next format" might just be the "old format" IMO. Really, if you think about it, it's impossible for 99% of people to pirate the experience of listening to music on vinyl. It's not likely they have access to the sort of machine that can cut or press it, and digitizing it isn't quite the same as the real thing.

The boom has been going on for about four years.
Every major electronics store in Germany has a large vinyl selection now.

It's really funny to me how much backlash U2 has gotten over this - like they hacked the world's apple devices from their rehearsal space and crammed their album down your throat. I've really not seen any actual reviews of the actual album. Has anyone even listened to it? But I've seen tons of bellyaching about it being force fed into everyone's itunes world.

This is what happens when you hitch your wagon to the biggest computer virus on the planet - Apple.

It's really funny to me how much backlash U2 has gotten over this - like they hacked the world's apple devices from their rehearsal space and crammed their album down your throat. I've really not seen any actual reviews of the actual album. Has anyone even listened to it? But I've seen tons of bellyaching about it being force fed into everyone's itunes world.

This is what happens when you hitch your wagon to the biggest computer virus on the planet - Apple.

they should have used a bit of reverse psychology. :D

Back