types of drum mics

thecuriouscouch

i was kinda wondering if i could just use regular dynamic mics to control my toms kick and snare? or should i get 2 small diaphragm condensers , or just get a large condenser.i guess im asking if i could use vocal mics to mic my stuff, and if i loose control of my toms and snare and such if i just use a condenser.

microphones dont care what they are listening too. They will pick up sound, it just might not be the sound you want. I hardly ever use condensers for toms and snare. Occasionally maybe. Try it out and see if they work for you.

Do some reading before you ask questions like this. Thats a very basic question.

Danny

Rarely do people use condensor mics to close mic drums (they are used for overheads/room mics).

As a rule, dymanic mics used for vocals can work on snare & toms - not as well on the kick because "vocal mics" don't pick up the lower frequencies as well as mics designed for that.

However, I've used SM57's (which can be used for vocals) on snare, toms and kick with good results.

it really doesnt matter if its condensor or dynamic. Vocal mics have good bass response. U87s, U67s, C1s work quite well at a distance. SM81s are world known kick drum mics and they are small diaphragm condensers. And you put them right up to the head like a normal kick drum mic.

AKG C414 and Neumann U87s are used on toms quite often and there are many different small condenser mics that are made specifically for toms, like the AKG C408s. Studio Projects B1s work quite well for toms also.

The problem with condensers in alot of cases are their durability. Ive put a C414 infront of a hard drummer before and had it hit, breaking the mic. Not a fun story. But it really depends on the condenser also.

KM84s and KM184s are used on the top of snare quite often if they need to be brighter. They are normally attached to a dummie SM57 to protect them though.

So the point is, it really doesnt matter if its a condenser or a dynamic. There are alot of people who prefer condensers over dynamics for a more open sound.

Danny

thecuriouscouch said:
i was kinda wondering if i could just use regular dynamic mics to control my toms kick and snare? or should i get 2 small diaphragm condensers , or just get a large condenser.i guess im asking if i could use vocal mics to mic my stuff, and if i loose control of my toms and snare and such if i just use a condenser.
They'll tell you everything you need to know at Full Sail, so don't worry about it.........! :eek:

:rolleyes:

Back