Two worse mics or one better mic?

Josh English

I'm looking into buying a microphone (or microphones) for recording accoustic guitar and vocals. My budget in total is around $400. Do you guys think that I should put it all into one good condenser mic, or should I buy two cheaper mic's so that I can record stereo? I found a deal on sweetwater where I can get an AKG 3000B and an AKG 1000S together for $400. Would that work for stereo recording or do you really need two of the same microphone?
Or would I be better off putting all my money into one microphone because it's only for vocals and accoustic guitar? If so do you have any advice on what mic is good for those things in that price range?
Thanks for any advice
Josh

You probably won't like either. You will get lots of opinions, I vote for AT 4033 and a pair of Oktava mk012. This'll run ya another 100 but you will use all three for a long time on lots of different stuff. You could also go with Studio Projects and stay in your budget...maybe a C1 and a TB1

for $400 those wouldnt be the mics Id get.....Id do a Marshall MXLv69 and a MXL603........

For only $300 you can get an mxl v67g and a stereo pair of mxl 603s. Most people on these boards feel that in this price range the mxl v67g and 603 are much better values and, in general, will sound better. AKG makes some great microphones, but the c1000s and 3000b are not well liked by many. Some people even think the c1000 is probably one of the worst sounding mics in it's price range.

Here are some better options:

LCD for vocals (in no particular order):
mxl v67g: $100
at4040: $250
cad m179 $200
studio projects c1: $200

stereo pair of sdc for acoustic guitar:
mxl 603: $100 each
oktava: $100 - ???? each (These are getting hard to find)
studio projects c4: $300 per matched pair

I think you will be a lot more pleased with any of these mics and you might even save some cash.

Just get the better mic. And no, this doesn't include anything by Marshall or Nady. :D You'll thank yourself later on for it.

noiseportrait said:
For only $300 you can get an mxl v67g and a stereo pair of mxl 603s.
Been there. Done that. While I admit that I don't have any high end mics, these will give you much versatility and I could hear the difference immediately from what I was using previously. I use the 603's on drum overheads and acoustic guitar. The V67 on vocals, sax and hihat. This is money well spent.

The three middle tunes on this page use the mics as I described...

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1400&alid=-1

ChuckU said:
Been there. Done that. While I admit that I don't have any high end mics, these will give you much versatility and I could hear the difference immediately from what I was using previously. I use the 603's on drum overheads and acoustic guitar. The V67 on vocals, sax and hihat. This is money well spent.

The three middle tunes on this page use the mics as I described...

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1400&alid=-1

ChuckU, can you tell us a little more about your signal chain plz?

oh,

if you're gonna buy TWO mics for stereo recording,
then you should go for a matched stereo pair,
or at least two identic mics....for the best stereo results...

i worked with two RODE NT3's ....used them for overheads, stereo gut recording...and for recording of stereo fx,

nice results, RODE makes some nice stuff, with a pretty low noise floor...
but once again, there's better stuff out there

mhhh, RODE has got this one stereo mic.....whats it called again ?
the NT4 ? no ? don't know it by heart,
and i heard and read good things about this one....

yeah.....i'd rather go for ONE real decent mic,
i've been in the same situation, and i used to buy lots of cheap stuff years ago, right now all that cheap junk is sold....i concentrate ON THE REAL SHIT now

so yeah...might be worth spending a tiny little more, but take the time to buy your mics man, don't just go for it now...... it always takes months of investigation before i buy something

and STEREO RECORDING ? what are you gonna use the mic for ?
vocals ? (don'(t need stereo recording there)

guitars ? nah man, record one guitar in mono, and put some stereo FX on it to widen the stereo image

the stuff i record in stereo :
ehm.....overheads.....well, the entire drumkit gets mixded down to stereo,
synths or special programmed computer stuff is in stereo too, but i don't need mics for that

so yes.......ONE mic....for mostly Mono recording....

if you got something like the
AKG c414
audio-technica 4050
blue dragonfly

then you can record allmost everything with it...of course they are made for lets say vocals....but they DO the job, believe me....definately if your not recording the newest linkin park cd...... yes...for me they are perfect....

hopê this helps a bit,

cheers,
earworm

Shakuan said:
ChuckU, can you tell us a little more about your signal chain plz?
Mics are going into my old Mackie board (1402 and a 1202), out the inserts into a Delta 1010 at 24bit, then into Sonar. My new Mackie (32x8 Buss)has direct outs so I get to play with eq and levels, but these recordings are thru the old board.

ChuckU said:
Mics are going into my old Mackie board (1402 and a 1202), out the inserts into a Delta 1010 at 24bit, then into Sonar. My new Mackie (32x8 Buss)has direct outs so I get to play with eq and levels, but these recordings are thru the old board.

Oh ok thanks. That's nice, the sound quality was pretty good. (I'm trying to see if I should go with Delta1010 or LynxTWO or RME... very hard decision.) I've been doing alot of research on the delta1010 and the lynxTWO, I gotta concentrate on the RME now. Lynxaudio got some badass customer service that's for sure. And the card seems like the best one out there quality wise. But it has no midi i/o and only 4 XLR i/o while the delta1010 has midi and 10 TRS i/o. :\

back on the subject
About 2 lesser mics or 1 better... in your situation, I would go for 2x sm57 and 1x SP C1. sm57 are 89$ and the C1 is 200$. So that would be 400$ for 3 "good to have" mics. You'll be able to experiment stereo recording and you'll have another decent mic for vocals and instruments.

I wouldn't bother getting a pair of SM57s. Whatever else you say about them, their best role will never be stereo-micing an acoustic or kit (unless you want that boxy sound).

I keep hearing stuff about the CAD M179 ... not used it myself but it's a defo purchase in the future.

The C1000S is not good at all ... don't bother. Shops sell it with rhetoric like, 'the swiss army knife for musicians', but in reality it's more like a cheap screwdriver - the first time you appreciate its shortcomings is when you buy a proper one. In fact, some would say this goes for many types of cheap gear. But AKG has a brand name that suggests something better than this mic is.

Josh, are you confused enough now? I've been studying mics for 2 1/2 years, and I got confused reading the posts above. Let me try to sort it out a little.
First, you could hardly pick a more useless pair of mics than a C3000B and a C1000S. The one thing almost everyone (including me) will agree on is that with $400 in your pocket, you can do a hell of a lot better.
Secondly, "stereo" recording is not just using 2 mics and panning them left and right. Stero recording is a scheme, with several different versions, to use a pair of matched, or at least very similar mics, to simulate the picture your 2 ears would hear if you were in the actual room listening to the music. You can make lovely recordings of an acoustic using 2 (or more) very different mics, but that is *not* stereo recording, that's just recording with 2 mics, which, as I said, is also just fine. It doesn't have to sound just like it sounded in the room, if it sounds *good*.
Third, the cause of the many answers you get is that the needs of acoustic guitar recording and vocals are somewhat different, so either you use different mics selected for those 2 different purposes, or you choose a compromise between the 2. Both plans can work. Often, when 2 different mics are used to record acoustic, one small diaphragm and one large diaphragm mic are used. Most vocalists will do better with a large diaphragm mic, and most people like one or two small diaphragm mics for acoustic. As a rule, I'd rather record an acoustic with a large diaphragm mic than a singer with a small diaphragm mic. However, there is a class of small diaphragm mics with larger housings that *look* like large diaphragm mics, which are among the best compromise mics I mentioned above. So-
Now we have enough info to consider some $400 alternatives from the selections above. The first suggestion was a MXL V67G (LD) and a pair of MXL603's (SD). That's not a bad suggestion. That gives you a stereo pair, and the option to use one of each on the guitar. Go ahead- try singing into a 603, and you'll find out why most vocalists don't use SD's. The V67 would be OK for that, though.
The last suggestion was a pair of C-4's. They are a very good stereo pair of SD's for the price- Good for guitar. Using them for vocal mics is not a pretty thing. The only vocal mic I can think of that could then be fit into the budget is a Studio Projects B-1, about $80. It's not one of my personal favorites, but it works for some people. Somebody will chime in and suggest a dynamic for vocals, and that can work if you have a good preamp and the right voice. But I was trying not to confuse you.
I should mention a couple of "workhorse" mics that are compromises. These are small diaphragm mics in larger housings that you *can* use for vocal mics or for guitar, and which can be used as a stereo pair also. My favorites- AKG C2000B and Audio-Technica AT4033. The 4033 is pricey, and one would take most of your budget. The C2000B can be had for $180 with the shock mount.
A side note here- the Oktava MC012/MK012 was mentioned above. This is a Russian made SD which is a pretty good mic, but they are becoming increasingly difficult to get, and service or replacement is currently nonexistent. I like them a lot, but I wouldn't choose them in your situation.
Hopefully your knowledge base has been increased enough that I can now give you my suggestions, and they will make sense.
Iwould chose a pair of MXL603's ($154.95 at 8th street) and I would pick up a C2000B with the shock mount ($179 at 8th street) or the V67G ($99.95 at 8th street). If you bought the V67G and the C2000B on ebay, it would drop the C2000B to $150 or even less, and the V67G to about $85, bringing in all 4 mics for under your $400 limit, and gratly expanding your options for recording voice and acoustic. Hope this helps. Good luck-Richie

Another reasonable plan would be the following;

Omni, like a Studio Projects B3.
MiniTraps from www.realtraps.com to improve room sound
by breaking up standing waves and reducing possible flutter echoes.

By using microphone in omni mode you can record guitar/voice at the same time.

Worked well for the Everly's and many more...

Chris

Last edited:
Back